A DISCARDED cigarette caused a fire in bushes.

Firefighters from Worcester Fire Station were called to Buckle Wood, near Astwood Cemetery, in Worcester at just after 5.30pm on Sunday, May 19.

A spokesperson from Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service said: "A Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service crew from Worcester Fire Station was called at 5.31pm on 19 May to a fire in the open in Buckle Wood, Worcester.

"A fire in bushes, around 2m by 3m, caused by a discarded cigarette was extinguished using a hosereel jet - a ladder and a thermal imaging camera were also used.

"There were no casualties and no other emergency services attended.

"The incident was marked as pending closure at 6.02pm."