A CITY sports club is celebrating its 125th anniversary.

Worcester County Ground Bowling Club has been marking the achievement with two celebration matches.

One was against the Barbarian Bowling Association, a charity team made up of players from all over the country which supports clubs with special anniversaries.

Worcester County Ground also held a gala day to thank all its players for their support.

The club is based at Cripplegate Park, Worcester, and welcomes new members.

Founded in 1899, Worcester County Ground initially made its home at Worcestershire County Cricket Club where members were allowed to play in front of the pavilion.

The prospect of a club had been discussed one evening over drinks in the cricket pavilion and for several years membership was restricted to members of the cricket side.

It was eventually opened up to gentlemen who were not full members and in the 1920s became one of the strongest clubs in the area.

Worcester County Ground joined Worcestershire Bowling Association in 1931 and in 1937 moved to the new corporation greens at Cripplegate Park while still retaining the name.

Club member Joe Miller was an early officer of the county, serving as secretary and treasurer during 1933 and 1935.

Another prominent club member Bill Lock helped compile the rules and constitution of the county association and was well known for his strict adherence to them.

He also served as county president in 1953 and was representative to the English association to which he was honoured with national life membership in 1965.

Other prominent names at Worcester County Ground over the years included Walter Hurst, Arthur Baker, Walter Beresford and the Coates family, father Fred and sons Jim and Peter.

Since the formation of the county championships in 1930, Worcester County Ground has enjoyed much success, winning the competition more than 30 times and claiming seven Vernon Turner Cups.

For more information on the club, visit worcestercountygroundbowlsclub@gmail.com.