A WOMAN who battled with alcoholism and depression told her boyfriend “I love you” just before she hanged herself in her caravan, an inquest heard.

Sharon Whittle had been given years of help from mental health services but failed to respond positively to the treatment.

The inquest, held in Stourport-on-Severn on Tuesday, was told the unemployed 33-year-old had appeared in good spirits on the morning of her death.

In a statement, which was read out, Michael Brookes, Miss Whittle’s partner, said he received a call from her on his mobile phone while he was driving in the Bristol area at about 2.30pm on Friday, June 27. He said: “She sounded upset. She said ‘I love you, I really love you, bye-bye’.”

Mr Brookes said Miss Whittle had tried to kill herself four times in the last two years by way of overdose and said she also self-harmed.

He said he immediately called the police after Miss Whittle, whose home was repossessed in May, ended the call. When police officers arrived at Four Acres caravan site, Stourport-on-Severn, they tried to revive her before paramedics arrived and took her to Worcestershire Royal Hospital. She died on Monday, June 30.

Worcestershire coroner Ger-aint Williams said Miss Whittle had received psychological help between Dec-ember 2003, and May 2005, before she was helped by the community psychiatric nurse service until June last year.

Mr Williams said that service was not extended beyond that date after Miss Whittle had failed extensively to attend appointments and refused help.

Although Miss Whittle’s relationship with her family had become fragmented, Mr Williams said her mother contacted the psychiatric nursing service on Friday, June 6, amid concerns her daughter had harmed herself. However, a visit found she had not.

Mr Williams said: “She had an extensive history of alcohol abuse and despite all of the involvement by the mental health services there was no improvement in her mental state, alcohol dependence, or social courses.”

A post mortem examination revealed the cause of death to be diffuse cerebral ischaemic damage caused by hanging.

A verdict of suicide was recorded.