POLICE are investigating after a spate of mysterious cat deaths in a Worcestershire village were blamed on a lethal household poison.

Officers were called to Honeybourne, near Evesham, after two pets died in suspicious circumstances.

A vets’ report concluded the animals were poisoned with anti-freeze. Since then, a third cat has reportedly died in the same village.

Anti-freeze is very attractive to cats due to its sweet taste, but even a small amount can cause fatal damage. It is not known if the Honeybourne deaths were accidental or malicious.

Evesham resident and animal rights campaigner Lynn Sawyer, aged 42, is a friend of the owner of two of the cats who died. She said: “I got a phone call from my friend saying his cats had been poisoned, so I drove over to Honeybourne straight away.

“I picked him and his cats up in my car, and the cats were having convulsions. We drove over to the vets and they ran some tests, and said it was anti-freeze poisoning. In the end the cats had to be put to sleep. My friend is really upset, obviously – they were his babies.

“Then a few days ago we heard someone else’s cat had died. We just want to get the message out there about how dangerous this stuff is for cats.”

Anti-freeze is made of a highly toxic chemical called ethylene glycol. The sweet chemical is sought out by cats and dogs but as little as a teaspoonful could kill them.

Ms Sawyer said: “If it had just been one cat then you could understand it, but two or three?

“We can’t be sure, but we think it’s really suspicious.”

A spokesman for West Mercia Constabulary said: “Police were called to the village following a report that two cats had been poisoned. We discussed the incident with the owner but no formal complaint was made.

“The local policing team is investigating. Obviously residents are encouraged to report any similar incidents as soon as possible.”