A WEDDING guest who killed a vicar and injured five women while “showing off” in his high performance car has been jailed for six years.

Christopher Badgery smashed his turbo-charged Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution at 77mph into the back of the Rev Ian Scott’s Vauxhall Astra, which was parked at temporary traffic lights.

The vicar, who had been out for supper with friends on the eve of his 64th birthday, died within seconds.

Susan Scott, his wife of 30 years, suffered a fractured pelvis, broken hip, three broken ribs and liver damage.

A bridesmaid had cracked ribs and another of Badgery’s passengers needed 20 stitches for cuts. Two more passengers escaped with minor injuries, Worcester Crown Court was told yesterday.

Badgery, of Pudford Lane, Martley, near Worcester, admitted causing death by dangerous driving and drink-driving. He was also banned from the road for four years and ordered to take an extended re-test.

Judge Toby Hooper QC said: “You were only thinking of driving fast and furiously and disregarded one passenger’s requests to slow down.

“The victim was a good and well-loved man who had devoted his life to others.”

Badgery, a 24-year-old mechanic, had drunk two pints of lager and a small amount of champagne at a hotel wedding reception at the Bank House hotel in Bransford, near Worcester.

There he was photographed with bridesmaids beside his bright yellow two-litre car before the fatal drive on July 18 last year.

Despite booking himself a hotel room for the night to avoid drink-driving, he took four other passengers for a six-mile spin along the A4103 Bransford to Leigh Sinton road at 10pm.

Prosecutor Paul Whitfield said: "He was showing off his ability to drive and the ability of his sports car to the passengers. One was panicking so much she begged him to slow down."

He drove through the road works on his outward journey - but forgot they were there on the return to the reception until it was too late.

After overtaking a number of vehicles at speeds up to 80mph, his car "twitched" as he braked heavily to try and avoid the queue of waiting cars.

But faced with traffic coming through the lights towards him, he swerved sharply into the Vauxhall spinning it full circle.

A nurse tried in vain to resusitate father-of-two Mr Scott, of Corbett Avenue, Droitwich.

Mr Whitfield said Badgery had owned the Mitsubishi for two months. It had been tuned to increase its performance and could accelerate to 60mph in 4.5 seconds. He also owned a three-litre Suburu.

Mr Scott was chaplain at Evesham Community Hospital and before that chaplain for Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust.

Police calculated Badgery's speed before the impact at 77mph from skid marks left on the road.

Tests showed he had 115mg of alcohol in 100 ml of blood - the legal limit is 80mg.

Badgery had no previous convictions and was often the alcohol-free designated driver on nights out with friends, said Abigail Nixon, defending.

She read out extracts of a letter penned by Badgery to the vicar's widow.

In it he wrote: "There's probably no-one in the world that you hate as much as me. All I can keep saying is sorry.

"I took away your soulmate and a great dad. I just wish it was me who had lost my life that day and not your husband. His life will always be with me."

In a police interview, Badgery denied he was speeding and had no recollection of overtaking other vehicles.

Mr and Mrs Scott met when they were both involved in amateur dramatics at the Norbury Theatre in Droitwich. Both were extremely well known at churches in Droitwich and Hanbury, where they were lay readers and together helped run the Pathfinder Youth Group and the Christian Youth Fellowship Association in Droitwich.

Mr Scott leaves grown-up children Zoe Scott and step-son Jason Wathes.

Following the sentencing, his family released a statement saying they were “satisfied” with the outcome.

“No sentence passed will ever bring dad back, but we hope that today’s proceedings will send out a warning to young drivers about the dangers of reckless and drunken driving.”

They also thanked West Mercia Police for all their support.