Yate Town 2 Bromsgrove Rovers 2

Southern League Division One West

DEBUTANT Carl Tranter sparked a Bromsgrove Rovers revival to ensure a deserved share of the points in an eventful promotion clash, after Yate had streaked into the lead on Saturday.

Tranter, starting a month long loan from Telford AFC, sparked Rovers' fight back with a 47th minute goal, before strike partner Paul Szewczyk completed the recovery with an equaliser.

This was after a first half brace from Darren Edwards had handed Yate a 2-0 lead.

Rovers, starting with a 3-5-2 formation, fell asleep at a Dave Elsey free kick and Edwards ghosted in to plant a firm header past goalkeeper Matt Lowe in the third minute.

The visitors were being run ragged by Yate and winger Jason Wood blazed Edwards' low cross over the bar in the 11th minute to let Rovers off the hook.

Lee Jefferies should have piled more misery on Rovers two minutes later, but the big defender sent a thumping header over Lowe's bar.

Tranter had Rovers' only attempt of the first half, after Szewczyk played him through in the 24th minute, but from a tight angle he drove the ball just wide of Yate 'keeper Tony Court's right hand post.

Rovers were unable to stem Yate's onslaught and Ross Collins was booked for a crunching last-ditch tackle on Wood as he surged towards the box.

But the pressure told in the 36th minute when defender Phil Male brought down Justin Pritchard in the box with a ferocious tackle for a penalty, which Edwards calmly despatched.

Manager Jimmy Mullen switched the formation to 4-4-2 and rung the changes - replacing the injured Ross Collins with winger Jon Daniels and midfielder Nathan Jameson, who was complaining of dizzy spells, with Scott Hadland before half time.

It took two minutes of the second half for Rovers to reply, when Tranter scored at the far post after Hadland's shot in the box was deflected wide.

Szewczyk's leveller came in the 67th minute when Yate's defence missed Mark Benbow's corner and the striker had time to control and ball and squeeze it in at the far post.

Rovers went in search of the winner and Szewczyk shot over in the 77th minute after a surging run and low cross by Daniels.

Tranter missed a glorious chance to put his side ahead two minutes later, but Court got down well to smother his shot. From the corner Yate's goalkeeper acrobatically tipped over Riad Erraji's dipping volley.

Lowe had to be alert to deny Jefferies and Wyatt as both teams pushed for a winner.

Jefferies was lucky not to score an own goal as he headed Benbow's cross just over his own bar, but the game ended with each team taking a deserved share of the spoils.

Rovers: Lowe 7, Frost 6, Hillman 6, K Johnson 6, Collins 6 (Daniels, 41mins, 7), Male 6, Erraji 7, Benbow 6 (M Johnson, 91mins, 5), Szewczyk 7, Tranter 7, Jameson 6 (Hadland, 35mins, 7).

Referee: Mr J Farries.

Attendance: 240.

By Peter McKinney