REJUVENATED Worcester City turned in one of their finest away performances of the season last night to win 2-0 at Lancaster City.

Second-half strikes from Adam Webster and Nick Colley were just reward for a solid and cultured display at the Giant Axe, which now gives Worcester a healthy ten-point cushion from the Nationwide North relegation zone.

City are getting better in every game under player-manager Andy Preece and they bristled with self-assurance following Saturday's success over Vauxhall Motors.

Another rock-solid and disciplined effort in defence secured a third consecutive clean sheet.

City's hard-working yet inventive midfield created problems for the North Lancashire hosts with strikers Leon Kelly and Webster forever running down the channels.

James Coates started in goal again as Danny McDonnell suffered from influenza, while tigerish midfielder Tom Warmer stepped in to replace Jai Stanley.

Preece praised his side's effort against the Dolly Blues, who are now just one point ahead of City, and promised greater things to come this season.

"I think in the end we deserved to win," said Preece.

"We looked like the side that was going to score, especially in the second-half.

"The passion and desire of the players cannot be questioned and if we carry on like that, then we will continue moving upwards."

An off-key first-half saw Lancaster goalkeeper Jamie Speare palming away Rob Warner's sweet back-post volley, while midfielder Brian Moogan lashed wide the home side's best effort on 38 minutes.

City took charge after the interval and had a 'goal' ruled out on 52 minutes. Great work between Les Hines and Colley teed up John Snape from 20 yards, but Speare saved low to his right and Webster's rebound into the net was deemed offside.

On the hour, Worcester broke the deadlock. Under pressure from Kelly on the edge of his own penalty box, full-back Steve Hollis played a woefully under-hit pass to Joe McMahon which Webster stole and buried first time past Speare into the bottom corner for his 15th goal of the season.

Hines was inches away from doubling City's lead on 67 minutes with a 20-yard free-kick that curled over the wall and thumped against an upright.

Worcester killed the game off with a minute to play. Warner's eagle-eyed free-kick down the right found Kelly, whose superb turn and shot inside the box was parried by Speare into the path of Colley who blasted home.

City: Coates 7, Warner 8, Hines 7, Hoyle 7, Woolley 7, Heeley 8, Warmer 7, Colley 7, H Kelly 8, Webster 8, Snape 8. Subs not used: Lyons, Skyers, Clegg, Stanley, Smith.

Attendance: 213.