ON a clear but cold afternoon Malvern's seconds made the short trip to Sixways last Saturday.


The Spring Lane side served up an impressive display of all round rugby to outclass their opponents, running in seven tries without reply.

From the off the Malvern outfit took a firm grip on proceedings. Their tight five asserted complete control at the scrummage, taking against the head at will, and skipper Vince Hill with second row partner Richard Brown secured well at the lineout.

Malvern's new pairing of Dai Hodges at nine, with Adam Dixon at ten, worked well and improved with such a steady supply from their pack.

With ten minutes on the clock, quick delivery from a ruck saw the ball spun wide before being switched back inside to flanker Stuart Clark, who spun out of the tackle before sprinting over to open the scoring for the visitors.

Wanderers set about redressing the balance with winger, and former Malvern regular, Ryan Milnes coming in-field to take on Malvern's centres but the strong tackling Grant Fraser and Stuart Smith stifled the attack, turned the ball over and released winger Dave Beech who instantly fed full back Chris Williams. Showing pace and a neat side step, he cut through to score. Dixon added the extras.

Almost immediately Williams launched another attack, joining the line at pace he made good ground, cut infield and timed the pass to release Fraser who stretched the lead to 17 points.

Again, the hosts rallied, rucking hard and creating chances for their pacey backs, but pressure from number six Ollie Banwell forced a hurried pass, which was intercepted by winger Will Clee, who sprinted 50 metres to touch down in the corner.

The second half began in a blizzard and playing conditions quickly deteriorated but Malvern continued to dominate. Andy Burns, having replaced Banwell at flanker, disrupted the Worcester outfit's attempts to skip the ball wide and for the second time Clee intercepted, again outpacing the defenders to score in the corner. Dixon converted superbly from the touch-line to make it a seven-pointer.

Wanderers' play became increasingly disjointed and when their number eight was held up by Hodges, Burns joined the tackle, ripped the ball and showed enough pace to cover 40 metres to score under the posts. Dixon slotted his third conversion of the match.

As full time beckoned, Clark, who had moved to outside centre, collected 15 metres out on the touch-line and burst through three tacklers to touch down in the corner to cap another outstanding performance.

Malvern's seconds next home game is tomorrow (Saturday) against Luctonians Seconds.