WITH Luke Arnold deputising admirably for unavailable keeper Ashley Bennet, Wanderers laid siege on the Rangers' defence.


Hitting the woodwork on no less than seven occasions, excellent goalkeeping and a rare Zac Blood penalty miss looked like the afternoon was not going in the Wanderers' direction.

It was Rangers who gained the upper hand ten minutes into the second half as Wanderers failed to clear a right-sided corner. Wanderers then replaced the luckless front three and were then rewarded, as Bruce Rogers' fierce strike from distance was too much for the keeper to hold for the equaliser. Wanderers continued to attack and the substitutions paid dividends as Shaun Carrey snatched the winner with a neat finish at the far post.


WELLAND travelled to local rivals Newtown hoping to secure their first double of the season.

The visitors got off to a flying start with Jo Waldron slotting home within 30 seconds of the kick off. However, the impetus then fell to the home side and 20 minutes later Welland found themselves 3-1 down.

With the odds seemingly stacked against them the visitors demonstrated great fighting spirit increasingly dominating play and pulled one back through a Josh Fernie strike. The equaliser was scored with a stunning left foot volley by the impressive Josh Kirby.

With the scores level at half time either side could have retaken the lead but as the weather conditions worsened Welland's determination increased and some great attacking play was rewarded with their fourth goal of the afternoon when Josh Fernie scored his second with a firm header at the far post.

Newtown attempted a fight back but were thwarted by a determined Welland defence of Steve Forrester, Ollie Smith, Shane Jackson and Huw D'Arcy.

The tenacious Guy Habbitts' elusive running paid further dividends when he ran with the ball from the half way line beating several players on his way to the area to beat the keeper as Welland secured their first double of the season.

Man of the match, sponsored by Butlers Health & Fitness, was Steve Forrester.



MALVERN United travelled to Stourport on a wet, windy Sunday to take on Mostyn for the third time this season.

Mostyn, having won the two previous encounters, started with immediate pressure on the United defence of John Davies, Craig Smith, Ben Hardinge and Dom Portman, who soaked up wave after wave of the home team's attacks. Once United had settled down their forays into the Mostyn half began to look promising and a great through ball from Alex Jenkins in the 20th minute saw Jamie Faulkner beat the advancing keeper to the ball by a toe and slot the ball into the net from the edge of the area. This inspired United who held firm to go into the half time break one up.

Ten minutes into the second half Henry Currie came on for Chris Crane, who had given his all, and this added a new dimension to midfield. Andy Nolan and Adam Oakley continued to make penetrating runs into the Mostyn half to keep the advantage with United and Liam Harford fed the front runners to keep the Mostyn keeper very busy. Any attack from the Mostyn forwards was confidently taken care of by Gaz Atkinson having an outstanding game in the United goal and Dom Portman seemed to be everywhere on the pitch.

In the 78th minute a well taken free kick from Liam Harford found its way into the back of the net to complete the scoring and a well deserved win for United.

Man of the match was Dom Portman.



A BLUSTERY first half saw Newtown playing with the wind behind them.

Newtown were determined form the kick off and were rewarded with a goal by Karl Wildig which Welland's keeper bravely attempted to save however the wind carried it just tantalisingly out of reach. Welland's Ashley Shouler was unlucky not to equalise almost straight away as his shot just went over the bar.

The second half saw Newtown quickly go 2-0 up with a well placed goal by Dan Jeynes however, amidst howling wind and freezing rain the undefeated league leaders, Welland, finally woke up. A superb goal came from a huge goal kick to Richard Phelps whose instinctive awareness resulted in his stunning cross to the feet of the hardworking and tireless Ben Marks who scored a well deserved goal. Within 20 seconds the equaliser came from another long punt from Welland's keeper Austin Watts. Josh Brentnall took on Newtown's defence on his own to dispatch a clinically taken goal to the delight of Welland's supporters.



FOR the fourth time this season Newtown Sports Colts played Kays Broadheath.

A last minute change of venue did nothing to prevent another closely fought, thrilling encounter. With a stiff breeze blowing in their backs, a new midfield of Edwards, Crane, Jaye, Caffull and Powell for the Colts took their time to settle. However, as the half wore on the Colts got more in to the match with Hale, and in particular, Buckle working really hard up front. With both teams looking to attack each other, it was the Colts who took the lead mid-way through the half from a free-kick. Powell hit a superb ball in to the box from 22 yards, and with Jaye and Buckle making great runs, the Kays keeper became unsighted as the ball bounced past him. Kays responded almost immediately with a well worked goal that left Johnson, the Colts keeper, with no chance.

In the second-half, Twinberrow came on for the Colts who now had to face the breeze, however, this seem to galvanise the team as they played a terrific second-half. Both teams played some excellent football, but the Colts always seem to have the upper-hand, with Elmes, Roskams and Scullion having marvellous games in defence. As the time ticked on, the Colts were awarded a corner which was exquisitely delivered by Edwards for Crane to nod in. Milward came on for the Colts and he was able to exploit the space as Kays pressed forward for the equaliser. However, Hale wrapped the game up for the Colts with a superb 20 yard shot which flew over the stranded keeper to give the Colts all three points. This was a outstanding team performance by the Colts, playing possibly the best football they have all season.


DESPITE difficult playing conditions, these two teams served up an entertaining game on a sticky pitch.

Lyppard scored within the first few minutes of the game but Welland struck back straightaway, Cathal McTernan finishing following a through ball from Andrew Jones. Welland then enjoyed a period of dominance coming close when skipper Jones hit the cross bar. However they were caught by a swift counter attack from Lyppard giving the home team a half time lead.

The second half belonged to Welland. With James Allen and Stuart Davison dominating midfield and McTernan a constant threat on the right flank, goals looked inevitable. Hard working striker Will Brown got a deserved equaliser and Nathan Budd drilled him a low shot to give Welland the lead. Lyppard raised their game and tried to hit back but the visitors' defence held firm with Dan Moon and Ed Haynes turning in their best performances of the season.

Welland's man of the match was Cathal McTernan.


DUE to illness Newtown played this game with only ten players.

In the opening five minutes Newtown found it difficult to clear their lines and found themselves 1-0 down. Juniors response to this was terrific and within another five minutes grabbed an equaliser when Craig Preece laid the ball through to Josh Butler whose surging run took him past several defenders and finish from a tight angle. Chris Spicer made some good saves whilst defenders Clack, Gilks, Puffett and Phillips all made vital interceptions. At the other end the Juniors had two goal bound efforts cleared off the line.

The second half started with the Juniors applying the pressure. The midfield of Mason, Preece, Gittens and Robinson worked hard to get the ball up to Butler and from a resulting corner Mason drilled the ball into the bottom corner only for the effort to be adjudged offside. Minutes later Newtown took a deserved lead when Mason put Butler through for his second. As the game wore on Littleton looked to exploit gaps left by the tiring Newtown players and equalised from close range. Littleton then raced into a two goal lead scoring direct from a corner and again from close range. Newtown kept going though and pulled a goal back through Gittens following a goal mouth scramble. Littleton restored their two goal lead when the referee ignored the linesman's flag and allowed play to continue for Littleton to score. This spurred the Juniors on and they worked an opening for Butler to run and fire home. Time ran out for Newtown who despite the circumstances played superbly.

Newtown are sponsored by Wells Joinery.

Worcester City U12 GIRLS 3,


BROMYARD began brightly and could have taken the lead with flurry of half chances in the first five minutes.

However, it was Worcester City who took the lead after 10 minutes with a fine attacking move.

Rather than giving the visitors a wake up call, Bromyard instead appeared to go into hibernation and had it not been for Town's keeper Winnie Cowley pulling of a fine save from a free kick, Worcester would have gone into the interval further ahead.

After the break Worcester continued where they left of and with a well worked goal increased their lead.

Almost immediately though Bromyard's Tasha Merris kept her cool in a one on one with the City keeper to reduce the deficit and give Town hope.

Worcester were not to be outdone though and another good goal saw them reinstate their two goal lead and seemingly wrap up victory.

Bromyard's captain Clare Almond, determined as ever, then produced a superb solo effort to again reduce the home sides lead to a single goal. This goal at last had the desired effect on her team-mates and brought Bromyard to life.

The last ten minutes saw constant pressure and commitment from Bromyard. Forward Rachel Newman played her best football since joining the Town, but a number of fine saves from the City keeper prevented any further goals to leave Worcester winners by 3-2.



NEWTOWN Sports avenged an earlier cup defeat with a hard fought victory against a well-organized Suffolk team.

Newtown went ahead after eight minutes with a perfectly placed free kick from Louis loader that deceived the Suffolk defence and left the keeper stranded. Newtown continued to press, but were unable to add to the score line, and after 20 minutes found themselves level after a break from the Suffolk attack got past Sport's defence to equalise.

That goal spurred the home side into action, and but for some fine defending by Ashley Heron, Richard Higgs, Matthew Lewis and Ben Wickets, and excellent goalkeeping by Chris Reynolds, they could have added to their score. But just before the break, Newtown scored an excellent goal after a Dan Hunt corner was nodded on by Joe Bament and volleyed home by Andrew Matthews.

Early in the second half, Newtown were able to press home the advantage of the one goal lead with the midfield quartet of Chris Debonis, Andrew Matthews, Louis Loader and Josh White all linking together with some fine passing football, and creating chances for the forwards. This was an excellent team performance by a determined Newtown team who ran out worthy winners.

Newtown Sports Juniors are sponsored by P W Jones of Hillbury Coaches, Burleigh Gate, Hereford.



A FEISTY encounter between the leagues top two sides saw Newtown Sports Juniors emerged victorious.

It was Newtown who were first to attack with as they dominated all areas of the pitch with Bannister and Watling dictating the play whilst Parker at the back contained any Oldbury threat. Fine saves by the Oldbury goalkeeper could deny Newtown as Bridges set Bannister free and his angled drive found the net off the post. A second quickly followed when the irrepressible Turner found space in the area and punished with a neat finish. Oldbury briefly rallied but the Newtown defences were solid and dependable. Neat passing all over the pitch saw Newtown grab a third as they pulled Oldbury to pieces leaving Watling with an open goal.

Injuries to Bannister and Turner caused a Newtown reshuffle but the disruption was minimal as Oldbury let Parker attack unchecked and with time to pick his spot he buried the ball with a tremendous drive.

The second half was a more even contest, Oldbury utilised the elements now in their favour but Loader in the Newtown goal was equal to every shot. Oldbury threw caution to the wind but couldn't break a resolute Newtown defence whilst Newtown spurning glorious opportunities. With time running out the Newtown defence switched off and allowed Bayliss time and space in the area his shot squirmed under Loader to give them a faint glimmer. They quickly scored a second when Le Gros hit a tremendous free kick from the half way line that flew into the top corner. This proved to be the final play of the match and too little too late for Oldbury as Newtown picked up two more valuable points.