Saturday, November 1, 2003

JAMES Dyson's first half equaliser earned Bromsgrove Rovers a replay in this FA Trophy First Round tie.

George Rooney was forced into three changes from the side defeated in the FA Cup at Whitby Town, Marcus Jackson, Peter Sutton and Mark Benbow replaced by Kevin Banner, Paul Szewczyk and Richard Tomkins.

Rovers almost made a spectacular start inside a minute when Mark Atkinson beat goalkeeper Stuart Jones but saw his shot strike the upright.

On nine minutes, Weston's Giusepe Sorbara latched on to a poor defensive header from Danny Scheppel, coolly rounded Paul Wyatt and then watched in horror as he placed his shot wide of an open goal.

The differing styles of play were evident, Rovers using pace as a weapon while Weston had a slower, more deliberate build up.

Weston increased their tempo and took the lead on 26 minutes. French was put clear by a long ball out of defence and he crafted his shot over the advancing Wyatt.

The hosts should have got 2-0 ahead two minutes later but the sequence that followed led to Rovers' equaliser.

Wyatt produced a great one handed save to prevent another score from French and from the resulting corner kick Lee Jarman's header hit the crossbar and from Rovers' next attack came a glorious equaliser. Dyson received a pass from Tomkins, brought the ball down on his chest and smashed the ball into the top corner.

The visitors could have been in front on half time as Szewczyk played in Scheppel whose sweet first time chip beat the goalkeeper but landed on the roof of the net.

Rovers started the second half full of determination with Atkinson shooting wide on 51 minutes and Jones saving twice from the striker.

Billy Clark headed wide for Weston with 19 minutes left but a hard working Rovers defence held out for the replay.


WYATT 8*, Frost 6, Hillman 7, Pope 8, Benton 7, Dyson 7, Banner 6, Scheppel 6, Szewczyk 7, Tomkins 7, Atkinson 6. Subs not used: Dawson, Swan, Hill, Gandy.

Att - 265.

Match report from BRIAN PERRY.