Saturday, November 15, 2003

BROMSGROVE Rovers got their revenge on second place Rugby United in emphatic style at Butlin Road.

George Rooney' side, beaten 3-1 at the Victoria Ground in September, had Kevin Banner, James Dyson, Marcus Jackson and Paul Szewczyk to thank for the goals.

The visitors also had a man advantage for three quarters of the game when Rugby had a player dismissed. The hosts' boss followed his player up the tunnel after being set to the stands on half time.

Mark Atkinson and Banner went close early on while United striker Robbie Beard volleyed over.

Rovers took the lead in controversial circumstances on 22 minutes. Jackson's shot hit Gary Redgate on the hand and referee Mr R Steans pointed to the spot. In the ensuing argument, Rugby's Redgate was sent off for foul and abusive language. James Dyson sent Jason Pearcey the wrong way with the penalty.

The Greens were now playing delightful football, creating chances at will, while Ryan Mahon, brother of Watford star Gavin, put himself about in midfield.

Bromsgrove doubled their lead on half time when Atkinson's blocked shot was rifled in by Jackson. United manager Tony Dobson was then sent off for strongly disputing the goal and six minutes into the second half Beard had an effort ruled out for offside.

The Greens extended their lead after 66 minutes when Banner's corner appeared to go straight in unaided. Three then became four seven minutes later, Banner curling the ball in from 25 yards.

Wyatt denied Beard twice late on as Rugby tried everything to score.

Rovers' fifth arrived eight minutes from time when Banner unselfishly rolled the ball into Szewczyk's path to tap home.

Rugby finally got their reward with a consolation in time added on when Williams turned in Aaron Shanahan's right wing cross.


Wyatt 7, MAHON 8*, Hillman 7, Pope 7, Benton (sub Frost 67 mins 6) 7, Dyson 8, Jackson 7, Scheppel 8, Szewczyk 8, Banner 8, Atkinson (sub Swan 80 mins 6) 7. Subs not used: Gandy, Beckett, Dawson.

Att - 299.

Report from STEVE RIDDICK.