WITH 1st XV colours up for grabs, the students from Malvern College were out to impress their rugby masters against a determined Malvern club side made up from players from one of the most successful rugby teams to emerge from The Chase in recent years.


Despite the miserable conditions, the two sides played some excellent rugby that kept the large crowd of hardy spectators glued to the game right up to the end.

After the frantic opening exchanges, it was the Malvern Chase old boys who looked the more likely to score as they probed for the initial break-through.

But Malvern College's defence held firm and the early intentions of the Malvern side lost their urgency. Nevertheless, poor discipline around the breakdowns by Malvern Chase allowed the College to turn the tables and with a good field position in the Malvern Chase 22, the home side took their chance with a well rehearsed backline move to take a 5-0 lead.

The College then absorbed another spell of Malvern Chase pressure before extending their lead to 10-0 with an almost identical set-piece move just before half-time.

Malvern Chase lost their hooker Matt Hipwell after the restart with an injury to the face and while the side tried to adjust to positional changes, the Malvern College extended the lead to 17-0 after an excellent phase of rugby, gave their talented fly-half his second try of the day.

However, instead of shutting up shop to stem any further scoring chances from a now confident College side, Malvern Chase went on the offensive and using the elements to their advantage, the visitors began to look dangerous.

Flanker Stuart Clark finally raised the spirits of the Malvern Chase faithful by completing a fine team try, converted in classic style from the touchline by Adam Dixon. Thereafter, the old boys threw all caution to the prevailing wind and kept the College pinned back in their own half for the remainder of the game.

The College defence held firm and it was only on the stroke of full-time that Malvern Chase scrum half Jon Wall was able to round the College defence to claim a second try for the visitors.