WANDERERS pressed into the attack straight from the start of this Mercian Elgar U13's League match and were soon hitting goals.


Malvern's top scorer Scott Butler was first on the score sheet with a well taken brace. Jon Mealing and Matt Tandy added to these and by the 12th minute Scott had bagged two more to make it three weeks in a row that he has scored four goals in a match. Rangers battled bravely against now rampant Malvern and in particular S Porter in Worcester's goal worked hard to make some outstanding saves. Malvern continued the pressure and by the 30th minute were further ahead with two more goals from Scott Butler. Three minutes before half time and Rangers' efforts were rewarded with a well taken goal by Pepe Lenzi.

The second half was a similar story to the first with Malvern pushing forward and Worcester defending bravely. Scott Butler opened the scoring again, and Malvern's flowing football produced a further half dozen goals in this second half with Jon Mealing recording a smoothly taken hat-trick and Scott Butler taking his personal tally to a career best of ten. All of the Malvern squad of Luke Arnold, Tom Watts, Chris Wilson, Rowan Dakin, Luke Carter, Dan Pickett, Bruce Rogers, Matt Tandy, James Lyons, Scott Butler, Jon Mealing, James White and Lee Flangan contributed to an outstanding effort with this their highest scoring game ever.

Malvern's man of the match this week was ten-goal Scott Butler.



AN injury depleted Malvern Town showed great courage and determination in this Stourport U16's League match against a committed Worcester Colts side who always looked dangerous going forward.

Town scored early on when Adam Derrington latched onto a through ball from Mike Cole and gave the keeper no chance. Midway through the half a long ball caught out Town's defence and Dean Watson in goal was lobbed from 15 yards. Watson however showed he wasn't in the mood to be beaten readily and pulled off a series of fine saves.

In the second half both sides made chances but it was left to Lee Hooper to grab the points for Town with a fine headed goal.



THIS Mercian Elgar Under 15's Junior League top of the table clash saw Newtown dominate the early exchanges with James Badham and Tom Vaughan looking very dangerous in Newtown's attack.

It was Tom Vaughan who opened the scoring with a fine shot from the edge of the box. Worcester fought their way back into the game but found Andy Fletcher and Peter Boyle outstanding at the heart of the defence. Newtown increased their lead before half time with a well struck effort from Joel Skyers.

The second half saw Newtown defending well for the first ten minutes before finally getting on top and it was James Badham who scored the third. The fourth goal soon followed after some fine interplay Matt Ireson squeezed home. Worcester to their credit battled back and reduced the arrears from the penalty spot. The final goal was scored in the final minute through Rob Evans.

Man of the match was Pete Boyle.


RAZOR sharp Wanderers gave their best display of th season to secure a thrilling victory over high fliers Kingswinford in this Stourport U14's game.

Wanderers slick passing paid dividends in the 10th minute when Matt Cole carved open the visitor's defence with a perfectly weighted through ball and striker Tom Carr finished impressively with a low shot in to the corner. Man of the match Jack Abbotts and Chris Molyneux were outstanding in the home defence, but shortly before the break Wanderers failed to clear their lines and Kingswinford grabbed an equaliser.

Wanderers' keeper Niall Hacking pulled off a magnificent finger tip save to deny the visitors another goal as a see-saw game headed towards the climax. The with ten minutes left striker Asa Smith burst through the Kingswinford defence and threaded a pass to Carr who bravely beat the advancing keeper to score a worthy winner.


WYVERN'S recent run of results in the Mercian Elgar Under 14's League belied their position in the lower half of the table but Welland were well aware of this and came prepared for a hard game.

As is turned out, Welland produced their finest performance of the season, dominating play from start to finish. At the back, Garth in goal together with Forrester, Smith, Lacey and Justice formed and impenetrable defence. In the middle, captain Joe Tailer and Steve Page ruled supreme. Wade, Witts, Holland and Coles were a constant threat going forward. Ultimately Wyvern had no answer to Witts' hat-trick complimented by goals from Holland Page. The only bleak moment for Welland was when Tailer was carried off injured but Hynds came on with ten minutes remaining and Welland's unceasing pressure play was maintained until the final whistle. Man of the Match was Steve Page.



NEWTOWN playing away in this Mercian Elgar Under 13's League fixture for the first time in several weeks were met by the strongest opposition they had encountered since mid-January despite Welland fielding only ten mien.

However after 15 minutes James Thomas had slotted a ball through for Craig Summers to run onto and open up the scoring. After 20 minutes Summers hit the back of the net again after picking up a through ball from Mathew Tighe to bring his goal tally up to 50 goals so far for the season. Five minutes from the end of the first half Summers scored again completing his hat-trick.

The second half saw Welland settle first and get a well deserved goal, leaving Chris Husband a rare opportunity of picking the ball out of the back of the net. Newtown quickly responded when Mathew Scott scored against his old club and Scott soon placed a superb chip over the goalie to put his tally to two goals. Goal six came with a lovely stuck goal from Paul Amott. With only five minutes to go Paul Amott was in action again flicking through off a corner for Craig Summers to volley home.



NEWTOWN entertained Wanderers in a Mercian Elgar U12's League match that was played with the passion and flare expected of a derby game.

It was Newtown who started the better and they dominated for long spells in the first half with the talented David Reynolds and Lee Jenkins unable to convert half chances. Newtown governed the midfield in the opening 30 minutes and Joe Ball along with Tom Ferguson played well but to no avail. Newtown were unable to make their possession count and were unfortunate when Adam Oakley hit the upright.

The second half was a different story and it was Wanderers who played the better football, Tom Chadney and Kris Denslow both combining with their fellow team members to make life difficult for Newtown. Keeper Tom Soley made one decent save and watched in disbelief as a Wanderers player put one shot high over the bar midway through the half. Newtown still created chances in this half and a through ball from Nick Zikking found David Reynolds whose pace saw him round two defenders before seeing his shot skim the crossbar. Wanderers carried on pressing until the end but Mathew Lakey and Michael James held their defence well and worked the offside trap to perfection on several occasions.

Next week sees the sides meet again in the Cup.

Man of the Match was Michael James.


LAST Saturday Newtown Sports Colts entertained Malvern Wanderers in a re-arranged Mercian U10 quarter-final cup match.

Customary to their recent form, the Colts started brightly with Bas' Edwards, Tom Hale and Wesley Powell passing well in midfield. The game ebbed and flowed with the Colts just about having the edge, although striker Sam Staddon didn't have any real clear cut chances. With more of the game, the Colts forced several corners and it was from one of these, shortly before half-time, that Bas Edwards opened the scoring. Several minutes later Tom Hale scored the Colts second with a header from another corner.

In the second half, the Colts continued in good form, with Louis Jones and Jamie Caffull entering the fray. The Colts defence of David Roskams and Max Elmes thwarted all of Wanderers good intentions, which meant that keeper David Rowely had little to do. To their credit, the Wanderers kept battling even in the torrential rain, but the contest was killed-off when Tom Hale grabbed his second and the Colts third following a good run. Louis Jones added a fourth as the Colts, who are sponsored by Cotteswold Dairies, moved towards a semi-final clash with club rivals Sports Juniors.



NEWTOWN Juniors were entertained by the Boys in the quarter final of the Talbot Page Under 10's Memorial Cup.

Juniors started brightly with some good passing movements between James McCann, Arron Almond and Danny Robinson, who combined well to produce Juniors' first effort in which James McCann fired the ball wide form close range. The remainder of the first half saw a lot of ball in midfield but no further clear cut chances were created.

The second half saw Juniors create chances but Stuart Johnson made fine saves from James McCann and Arron Almond. The deadlock was broken when Almond bundled past two defenders and unleashed an unstoppable shot in to the right hand corner. The Boys responded well but great defending from Craig Preece, Jack Kyte and Richard Doyle restricted their chances to a long range effort from Ian Puffet which looped over the bar and a Lee Mason shot that went wide. Juniors held on for a deserved victory and now meet Newtown Colts in the semi-final on Saturday.

Newtown Juniors are sponsored by S J Prosser & Son.



THIS twice postponed Under 10's Cup match eventually took place on Saturday despite Witley fielding an under strength side.

Without their regular keeper, centre back, left midfielder and with striker Josh Butler suffering from a heavy cold Witley made hard work of the first few minutes. Lyppard went ahead with a well taken goal from Nathan Stone as a result of Witley's bad defensive errors. The visitors scored again within minutes of the restart, this time Daniel Hallworth scoring after some fine passing and movement from the Lyppard midfield players. Witley quickly reorganised by bringing on long time injury absentee Nathan Edwards to strengthen the defence. This worked wonders and very quickly the game tightened up with Witley not now giving the enterprising Lyppard forwards so much room. Witley pushed hard to get back on terms, Josh Butler, Nathan Edwards, Patrick MacCleish and Sam Hampton all going close to scoring.

From the restart of the second half Witley looked the more determined team and despite much hard work from Witley's captain Sam Roberts and with Josh Butler hitting the side netting after a long spell of pressure from the home side, Lyppard remained solid to claim a hard earned victory.


A GREY and wet morning was illuminated by this Mercian Elgar Under 9 League match, which featured impressive attacking and defensive displays from both sides.

Wanderers' Harry Gregory and Jordan Johnson combined well in midfield but it was Warndon who took the lead. Wanderers soon equalised when Alex Stockwell broke upfield and played a great pass to Jonothan Hughes on the left, who calmly smashed the ball into the net. Matthew Downes and Chris Webb were outstanding in a much improved Wanderers defence, and they did well to restrict Warndon to just one more first half chance, which they took to make the half time score 1-2.

The second half began promisingly for Wanderers, with Jonothan Howie performing well in goal with some fine saves and kicks, but the goals began to rain in from Warndon. Although Wanderers' substitutes Jack Daniels, Jordan Richards and Kurt Teale played well they couldn't stop the late Warndon onslaught and four second half goals made the final score 1-6.

Warndon goalscorers were M Harrison (2) D Edwards (2) S Wymsky and B Mason.

Wanderers man of the match: Alex Stockwell.


NEWTOWN Sports entertained Welland in an Under 7's friendly, in what was their first competitive match, both team played some excellent football in what turned out to be a thrilling match.

The first half saw chances at both ends but some good defending by Oliver Wadey and Oliver Bond ensured Newtown didn't concede any goals while Elliot Hennessy showed some nice touches in midfield.

Midway through the second half Newtown scored what turned out to be the winning goal. Harry Wickett showed some good skills on the right hand side of the Welland box to beat the defenders and send in an excellent cross for Dominic Ferguson to fire home. Welland responded with some good attacking football but Ashlea Brewer in the Newtown goal produced some fine saves to keep a clean sheet.

This was a fine display by the Newtown team.