FOUR people were evacuated from flats in Kidderminster after bins stored between two blocks caught fire.

The two bins - stored in a hallway between two blocks of four flats - was "well alight" when firefighters arrived at Witley Close shortly before 10.30pm on Monday.

They led four people, one of whom was given oxygen, to safety as smoke was spreading. Firefighters said the bin store was "quite damaged".

A spokesman said: "These people had alarms which started to go off as we were taking them to safety.

"If they hadn't, and we had arrived later, it could have been disastrous."

The scene was examined and the cause of the blaze is being treated as suspicious.