A BROTHER and sister on the way to a Christmas play suffered broken bones in a collision with a car after a motorist failed to stop at a pelican crossing's red light.

Gillian Hudson, who denied the offence, was found guilty of the incident which took place on the A38 at Fernhill Heath, following a day-long trial at Worcester Magistrates Court.

She had insisted the lights were on green when the siblings stepped in front of her VW Polo but on inspection traffic officer, PC David Reece, found no fault with the lights.

Despite braking and travelling at less than 30mph, Hudson, aged 40, of Dugard Way, Droitwich, was unable to avoid hitting them.

The boy suffered a broken right arm plus cuts and his sister a broken collarbone and grazing to the scalp.

The incident happened on Wednesday, December 8, last year, at around 5.40pm, just a day after a fault was repaired on the lights.

The victims, who cannot be named for legal reasons, gave evidence, although the girl was unable to recollect anything.

"I pressed the button and stood facing the lights," said the 11-year-old boy.

"The red light for the cars came on and the green man came on. We started to cross then I heard the noise of an engine, looked to the right and saw a car.

"The next thing I remember is lying on the floor."

Witness Helen Probert, who was driving in the opposite direction, said she spotted the children and the lights changing to amber and slowed down.

"I was aware of a car coming in the opposite direction just by the headlights. Next thing the car struck the children," she said.

Hudson, an accounts manager, said she slowed down after seeing the children.

"I was keeping an eye on them believing that they had noticed me," she said.

"Also while noticing the children on the pavement I was checking the lights to make sure they were on green and it was my right of way."

Magistrates said the defendant was genuine in her belief the lights were green, but found in favour of the prosecution case presented by Mark Soper.

Hudson was fined £350 with £150 costs and her licence was endorsed with three points.