THE mother of a fatal stabbing victim has called for calm following a spate of violent clashes between gangs of white and Asian youths in Redditch.

Her plea comes as police are growing increasingly concerned over the number of confrontations since Liam Gall, 18, from Birmingham, died from knife wounds in Redditch town centre on September 23.

In the latest incident, a white teenager was seriously hurt in what police described as ''an entirely unprovoked'' attack by a group of Asian youths as he got off a bus in Easemore Road on Monday evening.

And a bystander was slightly injured in the Kingfisher Centre on Saturday during a disturbance involving youths weilding metal bars.

Mr Gall's mother, Leslie, said: "I know Liam's death has caused tension in the town and I can't understand why.

"My son would never have wanted this and as a family we do not want it either. This is adding to our sorrow.

''It is worrying and frightening and I want to urge people not to take matters into their own hands. Please leave it to the courts," she added.

Redditch teenager Omar Mohammed is on remand awaiting trial for the murder of Mr Gall.

Mr Mohammed's father, Mustaq, said he was also disappointed at what was happening in the town.

"We are all heartbroken and I don't want anything to happen in the future. There is no need for other people to become involved, it's just upsetting us more," he said.

Insp Jeff Hill, of Redditch police, said: "There is animosity between a group of predominantly white youths and a group of Asian youths.

''In general, the white and Asian communities in Redditch live together in peace and harmony.

"This is an isolated dispute and is not affecting wider relations in general.''

And he appealled to the youths involved: ''This dispute is deeply upsetting to those who you believe you are supporting.

''All that you are achieving is the addition of further grief to the families of those involved. For their sakes, end your dispute.''

Insp Hill added: "There is no reason whatsoever for this bad feeling developing. The families have distanced themselves from what is now happening.

"They accept it is for the courts to decide what will happen with regard to Liam's death and are very unhappy about what is happening.

"They fear if the present situation continues, someone else may be injured."

Extra police have been drafted into the town centre to mount high-profile patrols and are liaising with community leaders.

In Monday's attack, an 18-year-old man was set upon by about 15 Asians after he got off a bus with his friend at 5.15pm.

The man was left with a broken jaw, broken arm and a head wound needing stitches after being hit with what police believe was an iron bar. He is still in the Alexandra Hospital.

A man has been arrested and is helping police inquires.

In Saturday's fracas in Kingfisher Walk, an employee from a nearby shop was slightly hurt.

Police are appealing for witnesses to both incidents. Anyone with information should contact them on 584888 or ring Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.