A MOTHER and her two children had a lucky escape when their car caught fire - in the tiger enclosure at West Midlands Safari Park.

Smoke suddenly began to pour from their BMW as the family from Oxford, drove through the Bewdley tourist attraction at noon yesterday.

Kidderminster Fire Station's Green Watch attended the scene but the blaze had already been put out and the vehicle pulled out of the enclosure.

"Staff had to rescue the family," said the Bewdley safari park warden Bob Lawrence.

"Six or seven of our vehicles surrounded the car to keep tigers away.

"We have to be very careful when there are tigers around but it's a well-rehearsed drill."

The car was towed out of the enclosure before the small fire was put out with a dry powder fire extinguisher.

"The driver said she had had better days, but she will be coming back," said Mr Lawrence

"It was a potentially alarming incident but it's not unusual and we were able to help."

The fire is believed to have started in the engine due to electrical problems.