Tuesday, April 4, 2006

ADAM Webster's 89th-minute strike completed a thrilling 3-2 Nationwide North win for Worcester City at Bower Fold last night.

City seemed to have tossed away victory when, after snatching a two-goal advantage through debutant Gareth Seddon and Webster, they conceded twice in the space of four mad minutes.

But after Lee Ellington and Kevin Parr smashed Stalybridge Celtic level, in-form Webster arrived bang on time to cap off a memorable night's football.

Boss Andy Preece said: "It was a magnificent performance. We were outstanding. If we had not won that game, I don't know what I would have done.

"Our football was top-drawer. It was a great pitch and the lads enjoyed it. There is so much good football coming from us away from home and our away fans are seeing that.

"Stalybridge is a very tough place to come to and to play like we did is credit to our players."

City's defence showed greater resolve in February's 1-0 success at Northwich Victoria but, as a team, this was their best display of the season.

George Clegg, Jai Stanley and Chris Smith were impeccable in midfield, offering bite, drive and tons of creativity, while the Webster-Seddon partnership worked a dream.

Former Bury ace Seddon -- who scored 18 times in 53 starts for the Shakers -- is committed to playing for Padiham of North West Counties League Division Two until the end of the season.

But the 25-year-old is expected to sign for City this summer as he looks to get his career back off the ground.

Due to a blood disorder problem, he retired from professional football at the end of last season, although he is capable of performing in the less rigorous demands of the part-time game.

And Preece can claim quite a coup if Burnley-born Sedden reproduces the goods of his Gigg Lane days.

Seddon was first on the mark last night as all the goals materialised in an action-packed second-half. In the first 45 minutes, Celtic were unlucky as Paul Sykes and Scott Mayfield struck the upright.

City racked up nine shots on target as they attacked down the slope.

On 61 minutes, Seddon fired in off the post after great work by Clegg.

Stanley's delicious run and cross teed up Webster for a thumping second just four minutes later.

Adam Burley spurned two offerings to wrap up the points and Webster was denied by goalkeeper Paul Pettinger.

Driven on by the home support, Celtic stormed back to level terms.

Ellington rammed a low effort past Lewis Skyers and, then from a corner, Parr smashed home from eight yards.

City, though, had the last laugh. On a quick counter-attack, Clegg released sub Troy Wood and he picked out Webster for a dramatic back-post finish.

CITY: Skyers, Warner, Burley, Pearce, Thompson (Colley 69), Lyttle, Stanley, Smith, Seddon (Wood 76), Webster, Clegg. Subs not used: Preece, Warmer, Walker.