Tuesday, August 22, 2006

WORCESTER City put the Moor Green defeat firmly behind them with a 2-0 victory at Worksop Town last night.

First-half goals from Chris Smith and Craig Wilding ensured Andy Preece's side returned from Babbage Way with three precious Nationwide North points.

With Des Lyttle back from suspension and Justin Thompson starting his first game of the season, City looked much more comfortable in defence.

Keeper Danny McDonnell was a virtual spectator as Worksop failed to create anything of note.

Even Mark Danks appeared as a late substitute to send the travelling City support back home in good spirits.

Lyttle and Thompson formed a back-three with Dennis Pearce as Danny Hodnett moved to the right in place of Jay Sztybel and Smith began the match in midfield.

The visitors were well worthy of their half-time lead. Smith was first to react in the six-yard box after Worksop goalkeeper Steve Wilson had parried Adam Burley's 20-yard effort following George Clegg's corner on 19 minutes.

Wilding extended City's lead with a well-taken goal 11 minutes later. A mad scramble followed a ball in from City's left and Wilding prodded it past Wilson with the outside of his right boot from 12 yards.

The visitors could have had more goals before the break.

Troy Wood went the closest when he spun on the ball and fired wide from the edge of the area on 28 minutes.

Clegg also volleyed over Wilson's goal as the half drew to a close.

But Hodnett had every reason to feel aggrieved before City took the lead when he appeared to be felled in the penalty area by Karl Everatt after 15 minutes.

Referee Ian Knee took a different view of the situation though and even rubbed salt in Hodnett's wound by booking him for diving.

A physical Worksop side were stronger after the break but only had captain Tony Crane's flicked header wide and Blake Norton's long-range drive to show for their efforts.

Wilding could have given City even more to smile about but he headed over the top following good work from Wood down the left just past the hour.

Smith, as solid-looking as ever, got himself booked late on for his part in a bout of handbags following a tackle on team-mate Wood.

The late outing for Danks, back in the squad after recovering from a broken metatarsal, could only give City more optimism for the games to come.

City: McDonnell, Hodnett, Burley, Pearce, Thompson, Lyttle, Smith, Colley, Wilding, Wood (Danks 90), Clegg. Subs not used: Stanley, Harper, Kahn, Walker.

Attendance: 347.