POLICE officers have described the tragic moment that a man slipped from their grasp and plunged from the top of a multi-storey car park.

The officers had been trying to prevent Rowland Robbins jumping from the NCP Cathedral Plaza car park in Worcester’s Friar Street.

Five officers had grabbed hold of Mr Robbins, of Infirmary Walk, as he dangled from the ledge, but he slipped from their grasp, falling 70ft.

Deputy Worcestershire Coroner Margaret Barnard recorded an open verdict at the inquest into his death yesterday, saying she she “could not be satisfied” Mr Robbins had tried to take his own life Dr Richard Crellin, a consultant based at Studdert Kennedy Mental Health Resource Centre in Worcester, said he started treating the 50-year-old for bouts of depression in 2007 after Mr Robbins left Malvern having been made the subject of an Asbo and serving a brief spell in prison.

In early 2009 Mr Robbins jumped from a third story window, breaking his back and pelvis. He later admitted himself to Newtown Hospital’s acute psychiatric ward, Worcester, but Dr Crellin discharged him on the morning of his death – Wednesday, October 7, 2009, – because he was at the “lowest risk I had ever seen him”.

That afternoon, the NCP car park attendant called police when he spotted Mr Robbins on the opposite side of the top level’s safety railings.

PCs Peter Myatt and Christopher James got to the scene at 1.30pm, and were later joined by Sgt David Pyle and police negotiator Insp David Coulson. PC James tried to talk with Mr Robbins.

“He kept saying ‘don’t come any closer’ – I tried to get a rapport with him but it was one-sided,” he said.

Mr Robbins was kneeling on a few inches of wall, holding the metal railings.

The officers described how it was while shifting his balance that he “slipped” and was left clinging to the railings.

The officers grabbed him with PC Myatt on the level below trying to support his legs, but one arm slipped out of the fleece top he was wearing, followed by the other arm.

Insp Coulson said: “I got hold of his hand, and he gripped mine but I felt the grip slipping.

“His fleece wasn’t zipped, so as it came away he fell.”

Mr Robbins died from multiple injuries.

His neighbour Kishor Rao said his friend was “bright” when he was discharged from hospital and had been “generous to a fault” as a person.

On the day of his death, they had arranged to meet at Ye Olde Talbot pub in Friar Street, but Mr Robbins never showed.

l Your Worcester News was the only member of the media to attend the inquest.