POLICE in Alvechurch and Wythall have issued advice for residents on how to deal with noisy neighbours.

They say noise nuisance can be very stressful and the prosecuting authority in England for noise nuisance is the local authority.

A police spokesman admitted: "The police within England and Wales have very limited powers to deal with noise nuisance.

"Police should only be contacted if there is a risk of harm to an individual or damage to their property. They should also be contacted if there is a person present at the private dwelling who has been identified as vulnerable.

"Where domestic violence is suspected to be linked to the noise please contact the police as soon as possible on 999."

They added: "Issues such as faulty house and car alarms or music from nearby entertainment premises or pubs can cause annoyance and stress to residents if not addressed.

"More often than not making people aware of the problem will resolve it.

"If the noise is coming from a private dwelling, or as a result of a party within a private dwelling, then contact your local authority."

The police did add that in certain circumstances it may not be appropriate for a member of the public to attempt to approach the noisy party, for example a vulnerable person is involved.

In such cases where vulnerability is an issue they said people can contact 101 and allow the police to make an assessment as to the most appropriate course of action to resolve the issue.