A HANDFUL of Worcester City fans spent much of last week clearing snow from St George’s Lane to ensure the Histon match went ahead.

At times, they must have wished they had stayed at home and left the pitch covered.

Although the only Blue Square Bet North fixture to beat the elements turned into a cracker, this was one for City to write off.

This defeat, after all, came against a team that had previously managed just one away win all season and started the day in the relegation zone.

With none of their play-off rivals in action, this was a golden opportunity to move back into the top five.

Yet City produced a first-half so abjectly lacklustre that Carl Heeley’s men were booed off at the break.

A much improved second period, inspired by the doggedly determined Michael Taylor, got them back on level terms, however, they were unable to add a third and paid the price four minutes from time.

Two weeks without so much as even a training session due to the wintry weather had clearly taken its toll on Worcester.

For whatever reason, they were unable to shake themselves out of their slumber in the first-half and, by and large, were completely outplayed.

Histon, full-time but with their oldest player only 25, made the most of a decent surface and took the lead through James Stevenson’s penalty, awarded for handball against Ellis Deeney.

Lewis Taaffe duly doubled their lead with a fierce drive past Glyn Thompson three minutes before the interval.

Heeley had seen enough and promptly threw on Taylor and Matt Birley at half-time for the ineffectual Mike Symons and Kyle Patterson.

The impact was immediate with Taylor refusing to give the opposition defence a moment’s peace.

His tenacity in shrugging off his marker in the box saw him halve the deficit and, three minutes later, Danny Glover prodded home the equaliser from close-range.

Now it was very much game on. Taylor continued to torment the visitors with his strength and power, while Glover’s first goal since October 13 brought him to life.

Yet, as has so often been the case this term, chances came and went in a frenetic finale without being converted.

So when Histon sub Matthew Waters curled in an unstoppable winner from out on the left, City could have had very few complaints.

Only time will tell how damaging this defeat might be.