WORCESTER City finally saw off a determined effort from Rugby Town to book their place in the FA Cup fourth qualifying round.

Second-half goals in the space of seven minutes from Danny Glover and captain Tom Thorley, the latter from the penalty spot, secured victory at Butlin Road.

It also ensured £7,500 in prize money and a match against Lincoln City at Aggborough on Saturday, October 26.

But, as in Saturday's stalemate, Rugby belied their lower league status, particularly in the first-half, and Worcester will be relieved to have progressed.

Dave Stringer's men made the brighter start and they twice caused havoc in the home defence with Jose Veiga smothering the best chance from Richard Blythe.

Although Worcester were quicker out of the blocks than at the weekend, they were forced to repel quick breaks from the hosts.

Graham Hutchison and Richard Munday had their hands full with Seb Lake-Gaskin and Marsden, the latter warming the palms of Veiga.

Worcester, who as well as Munday brought in Niall Thompson and on-loan Birmingham striker Reece Hales, probed with little reward.

Their build-up play was patient and they cranked up the pressure towards the end of the half but the home defence stood solid and keeper Niall Cooper was seldom troubled.

Worcester took the lead in the 57th minute.

Glover’s fierce drive drew a good block from Cooper but the rebound fell to the striker and he swept the loose ball home left-footed from the edge of the box.

Having gained the advantage, the visitors brought on Daniel Nti and began to take control.

Ellis Deeney with a free-kick and Ebby Nelson-Addy, flashing the ball across goal, both went close before City doubled their tally in the 64th minute.

Glover’s progress in the area was halted illegally by Rugby skipper Alex Gudger and Thorley drove the penalty confidently beyond Cooper.

Worcester sought to stamp their authority but Rugby forced the visitors to defend stoutly. Marsden curled inches wide of Veiga’s goal as they pressed for a way back but City held firm.

Worcester City: Veiga 8, G Williams 8, Deeney 8, Thorley 8*, Hutchison 8, Munday 8, Thompson 7 (A Williams 84), Taundry 7, Glover 8 (Smith 90+1), Hales 6 (Nti 59, 7), Nelson-Addy 7. Subs not used: Khan, Moore, Lemon, Sargeant.

Attendance: 327.