FIRST-HALF strikes from Mark Danks and Adam Webster gave Worcester City a comfortable 2-0 win at Alfreton Town.

Danks was on target after just 30 seconds and Webster, recalled following a back injury, struck 15 minutes later as Andy Preece's side collected a welcome three points on their travels.

City, who only named three substitutes due to injury, dominated the first 45 minutes and could have gone into the break further ahead.

Alfreton grew in confidence in the second-half but 'keeper Danny McDonnell was rarely troubled.

Chris Smith, who has played the last few games with an ankle complaint, was replaced by Danny Hodnett in the visitors' defence, while George Clegg also missed out after sustaining a dead leg in Sat-urday's 1-1 draw with Gains-borough.

Danks gave City the lead inside the first minute. The diminutive striker picked up the ball 35 yards from goal and ran at the defence before firing a right-footed shot past Dale Roberts from just outside the penalty area.

Alfreton weathered the storm momentarily but were 2-0 behind just a quarter-of-an-hour later. Roberts spilled Tom Warmer's right-wing corner under pressure and the ball dropped for Webster to drill home left-footed from 12 yards.

Although failing to add to their tally, City controlled the rest of the half. Craig Wilding made a nuisance of himself as the game progressed and later had a volleyed effort ruled out for an infringement.

Warmer and Alfreton's Tristram Whitman were both booked three minutes before half-time when Warmer thought it necessary to start a brawl over a thrown-in.

The hosts, who registered their first shot on target two minutes into the second-half through Callum Flanagan, looked a different side after the break and forced City to defend for long periods. With the exception of Danks blazing over two minutes after the re-start and Wilding firing a free-kick straight at Roberts, the visitors created little as an attacking force.

Yet for all their possession, the hosts were not exactly threatening in front of goal themselves and did not win a corner until the 84th minute.

Their closest effort saw Ashley Burbeary curl a free-kick over the top.

There was unexpected drama with two minutes left. Hodnett played Roberts' long kick back towards McDonnell who picked it up inside the area and the referee awarded an indirect free-kick 12 yards out.

However, all the commotion ended in something of an anti-climax as substitute Nathan Winder sliced the ball harmlessly wide. Graham Ward was also booked for kicking the ball away.

City: McDonnell, Ward, Khan, Hodnett, Thompson, Lyttle, Colley, Warmer (Findlay 90), Danks (Wood 82), Wilding, Webster. Sub not used: Preece.

Attendance: 246.