WORCESTER City's joint manager John Snape was "over the moon" after George Forsyth’s wonder goal saw his side beat table-toppers Coleshill Town 1-0.

Despite the promotion rivals scoring 125 goals between them this season they looked to be heading for a goalless draw until Forsyth’s volley with five minutes remaining crashed in off the post.

Forsyth had sent a warning minutes earlier firing low into the box which was deflected away through a crowd before netting the winner.

Coleshill were unable to respond and fell to their first Total Motion Midland League Premier Division defeat since October- a run of 10 games.

“I’m over the moon and for George as well because it was a fantastic strike for the goal which was worthy of winning any game,” said Snape.

“Coleshill have got some good players and caught us with players running behind a bit too easy in the first half.

“We talked about stopping that at half-time and second half it was nip and tuck.

"What changed the game for me was the introduction of Mat Birley and his ability on the ball to get us going again was fantastic.

“There was some outstanding performances from both teams. Defensively both teams mastered the game and it took a wonderful strike to win it.

“It was like a game of chess at times.”

Snape’s side could have gone behind early on when Ryan Edmunds flashed the ball across the face of goal but it eluded striker James Hicks.

City debutant Bekir Halil almost made an immediate impact cutting inside before snatching at the chance and blazing over.

Coleshill were probing for an opener and Nathan Vaughan was forced into action denying Edmunds' glancing header.

However, it was Snape’s side who could have had the lead at half-time after leading scorer Dave Reynolds beat his man before his deflected effort was saved.

Defender Wayne Thomas also went close for City sending his powerful header just over from Forsyth’s free-kick.

However, Coleshill remained a threat and caught the visitors out as Reece Leek ran through on goal and put the ball under Vaughan only to be denied by Jamie Smith clearing on the goal line.

Hicks should have scored with seven minutes remaining connecting with a cross but sending his free header wide.

However, two minutes later City pushed forwards and when the ball looped out to Forsyth he volleyed low and in off the post.

City remain six points behind new leaders Bromsgrove Sporting but Snape says the promotion race is wide open.

“It’s the squad game and we have played three games in a week and taken seven points,” he added.

“There are 51 points still to play for and the league is very open for a lot of teams. It’s whoever can go on a run now as teams will be beating each other.

“There is going to be an absolute avalanche of games and people are going to be playing three times a week.

“Throw that into the mix and it’s going to be a very exciting season for everybody.”

City: Vaughan, Weir, J Smith, M Smith, Thomas, Hayward, Halil (Birley 63), Forsyth, Hughes (Baldwin 74), Reynolds, Tomkinson. Subs not used: Gwynne, Moran, Danks.