DISAPPOINTED boss Les Jones is set to turn down an offer to join Malvern Town’s board after being axed as first-team manager.

Jones and his assistant Derek Doyle will remain in charge until the end of the West Midlands (Regional) League Premier Division season.

But Jones admitted he was unhappy with the “manner” and “timing” of the club’s announcement as Town battle to stay in the top two.

In a statement from Town on Sunday, chairman Chris Pinder was full of praise for what Jones had achieved since taking over as boss in 2011.

And Jones said he had been presented with an opportunity to stay at the HDanywhere Community Stadium as director of football.

But he conceded he and Doyle were keen to remain in management.

“The board made the decision that they wanted to change the first-team management at the end of the season,” Jones said.

“I was disappointed with the manner and timing of it as it was in between four away games which we had won and our final three games to compete for the runners-up spot.

"But that’s football.

"They offered me a director of football role on the board and I am considering that.

"But Derek and I are looking for opportunities locally to stay in the dugout.

“If there is a suitably ambitious club at the right level we would be interested in doing that. But I will have a meeting with the chairman and discuss it.”

During Jones’ tenure, Town have finished in the top four for the past four seasons and won the Worcestershire FA Senior Urn in 2016.

“When I took over at Malvern they were in total chaos with no playing staff left and were favourites for relegation,” Jones added.

“We stabilised the team for the first two seasons, strengthened the squad and got stronger and stronger as we are a top four side and have qualified for the FA Cup every year.

"That’s been done with no budget although we had a small expenses budget this year.”

Malvern were hammered 10-1 at top-two rivals Tividale on Tuesday night.

But Jones insisted the defeat was mainly down to goalkeeper Chas Weaver seeing red on 37 minutes when they were 2-1 down. Striker Matt Turner then went in between the sticks.

Town visit Dudley Town on Saturday (3pm).