“It ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done.”

Ten-man City were more rocking than Rocky in the second half at Shepshed.

On the ropes, perhaps, but still clever enough to bob and weave against bullish, belligerent opponents who could scent blood.

Jamie Smith’s much-debated 35th-minute red card transformed this clash as Worcester, on top until that point, got forced to retreat.

When watching those Sylvester Stallone classics you know the Hollywood ending will always arrive but this was Butthole Lane where no such guarantees exist.

The twist to the plot may have appeared harsh on Dynamo, who spent the second 45 minutes camped in City’s half, but the truth is the hosts did not display enough craft during those huge spells of pressure.

And having survived under the microscope on what was an unseasonably hot day, City not only stood tall but mustered the sucker punch.

Fittingly, the winner was no wild lash. Such a speculative effort would not have done the job and rookie Liam Lockett deserves all the plaudits for coolly lifting over advancing keeper Brandon Ganley amid the heat of battle.

Smith for the injured Joel Caines was the only change with the returning defender slotting into an unfamiliar position to the left of a back three. George Forsyth advanced into midfield.

There was an early scare from a corner with City keeper Dan Jezeph scrambling down to Joe Pheasant’s header but the trusted combination of Mat Birley and wing-back Tyler Weir soon got into their stride and proved too much for Shepshed.

A well-weighted ball was stepped over by Jordan Harrison and in waltzed Weir to calmly tuck inside Ganley’s near post 11 minutes in.

City stayed on the front foot but were largely kept at bay while Shepshed carried a threat on the break and from set pieces that the visitors allowed to bounce in their own box too frequently.

The flashpoint came 10 minutes before half-time when Smith dashed across to deal with Ryan Robbins who hit the deck following a tangle on the edge of the box.

Only referee Minesh Gupta knows how much he was swayed by the home players that surrounded him but Smith’s dismissal for denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity appeared harsh. Even though the route to goal looked clear, Robbins had plenty to do to retrieve possession.

Incessant Shepshed pressure without punch followed, although there were scares.

When City’s offside trap got sprung on the hour, Forsyth’s clever nick on a low cross denied Sam Moore a tap-in on the line.

Celson Patrocinio slammed into the face of Dave Reynolds from a half-cleared corner but the resistance was broken nine minutes from the end.

Karl Whymark’s deliveries had been Shepshed’s best hope and when Jezeph came, saw but did not conquer, Jordan Smith applied the point-blank finish.

The big push continued with Jake Davies claiming a penalty after a tangle with Andy Gallinagh on the goal line. Pheasant then wasted a half chance three minutes past the 90 and within seconds, City snatched victory.

Jezeph launched forward for substitute Kyonn Evans to flick on and despite Lockett being tightly marked, he got the all-important touch over Ganley to well and truly burst Dynamo’s bubble.