Worcester Warriors 20 Wasps 21.

FINE margins can often be the difference between success and failure in sport.

That might be a cliché but when you see a kick to win a game miss by the width of a post it is hard to argue against it.

Duncan Weir – a player who has stepped up on big occasions in the past to land last-gasp drop goals - had the chance to be the hero for Warriors.

With no time left on the clock and Warriors in a central position the Scotland international dropped into the pocket to receive Jonny Arr’s pass.

But the fly-half then watched on in horror as he sent the ball narrowly wide of the target to hand Wasps the victory.

It was an agonising moment for Weir who had been excellent up until that point, landing his four previous kicks at goal.

And it was a bitter pill to swallow for Warriors who had led the Premiership opener for 66 minutes yet failed to secure what would have been a morale-boosting victory.

But director of rugby Alan Solomons will be encouraged by the way his team performed for the most part of this absorbing Midlands derby.

Worcester defended stoutly for long periods, fronting up against powerhouse number eight Nathan Hughes, and they took their opportunities when they came in the first 20 minutes.

Francois Hougaard and Weir struck a solid half-back partnership while Sam Lewis played a starring role in the back row.

Worcester also did well to overcome the disruption of Alafoti Fa’osiliva’s yellow card and then Cornell du Preez’s injury that led fly-half Jono Lance to finish the match at number eight and Hougaard on the wing.

But Worcester’s penalty count is a concern and although there was plenty of conjecture over what referee Karl Dickson did or did not see the Sixways side must improve their discipline.

Warriors went into the game having not beaten Wasps in any competition since January 2012 but they seemed determined to end that record.

Weir landed two penalties in the opening 10 minutes before the hosts bagged a converted try to move 13-0 in front.

Ryan Mills was the scorer as he gathered Hougaard’s pass off the back of a scrum before charging over the try-line.

Wasps had come close moments before Mills’ try as they knocked on near the whitewash and Warriors presented their opponents with more scoring opportunities as the half wore on.

Billy Searle missed his first attempt on goal after Fa’osiliva was caught offside but landed his next effort after Andrew Kitchener failed to roll away.

The young fly-half then stepped up to dispatch another three-pointer with Lewis this time the guilty man after Elliot Daly’s penalty from the halfway line fell short.

Wasps had tries ruled out either side of half-time but with Fa’osiliva in the sin-bin for a high tackle their pressure told as Joe Launchbury powered over from close range. Searle added the extras to level the scores at 13-13.

This was the first of three tries in eight minutes as Lewis brilliantly burst through Wasps’ defence to score with Weir converting before the visitors hit back.

Quick-thinking from Dan Robson set up hooker Tommy Taylor who crossed in the corner. Searle pushed the conversion wide.

But with 12 minutes left a Searle penalty gave Wasps the lead for the first time in the match.

Worcester had chances to win it late on as Hougaard sped away after gathering Weir’s crossfield kick.

But the scrum-half ran into traffic when he had Chris Pennell free outside of him before Weir went wide with a drop goal at the death.