LAST year it took Worcester City six games to record their first home win of the season.

Fans had to wait until September 23 for Andy Preece's side to defeat Blyth Spartans 3-2 at St George's Lane.

This time it has taken just four games to get off the mark - goals from Adam Webster, Chris Smith and a George Clegg penalty earned victory over Leigh RMI.

City were dominant for large periods but the visitors did enjoy good spells of possession early in the first-half and late on in the contest.

But, ultimately, it was a comfortable three points for Worcester, tarnished only by conceding a sloppy 93rd-minute goal when a second successive clean sheet looked on the cards.

Up until that point, Smith, Patrece Liburd and Ryan Clarke had dealt with pretty much everything that had come their way.

Peter Doran, in for the injured Rapinder Gill, also thrived in his freedom down the right as the hosts, playing their familiar 3-5-2, looked strong at the back.

They also began brighter with Webster heading over from Graham Ward's corner within 60 seconds of the kick-off.

Leigh, though, settled down and started to knock the ball about confidently, keeping possession as they went but without ever threatening Danny McDonnell's goal.

Their inability to carve out openings during that period cost them dearly as City suddenly came to life.

Webster wasted a glorious opportunity to put his side ahead on 31 minutes.

Set free by Ward, the in-form striker only had John Lamb to beat but his shot was smothered by the Leigh keeper.

The Leicester-based forward made amends by giving his side the lead seven minutes later.

Clegg swung over a corner from the right and, with everyone seemingly watching Smith's tussle with his marker in the middle, Webster ghosted in unmarked to head home at the far post.

Emeka Nwadike, named City's player-of-the-month for August, might have doubled the advantage three minutes before the break but his flying header from Webster's cross was planted too high.

Half-time seemed only to be a mere inconvenience to the hosts as they continued to pile forward after the break.

Within two minutes of the re-start Mark Danks, a replacement for Craig Wilding at the interval, had hooked a volley against the crossbar.

Webster then found the side netting with a lovely effort off the outside of his right boot following good approach play from Clegg.

City kept the heat on and were finally rewarded with a second goal on 55 minutes.

Nwadike's close-range header was tipped over excellently by Lamb but from Ward's resulting corner captain Smith arrived to head low past the keeper.

Moments later, Smith was on target with another header, this time blocked by Lamb, and Clegg found the hands of the Leigh keeper from distance.

Then, on 62 minutes, Danks' cross from the edge of the penalty area was inexplicably handled by Gavin-Lee Ellison and referee Stephen Martin pointed to the spot.

A three-minute delay ensued to allow for treatment to Lee Unsworth, injured in the process, but Clegg simply waited and coolly sent Lamb the wrong way from 12 yards.

That effectively ended the game as a contest but Leigh, who made a double substitution on 70 minutes, were allowed a way back and created openings before getting a consolation.

Manager Preece was becoming increasingly agitated on the touchline, ranting at Smith to raise his side from their slumber.

Preece's determination not to hand Leigh a lifeline looked to have rubbed off until Kieran Lugsden slipped a pass through a static defence and Rapley turned the ball past McDonnell.

It took the shine off an otherwise good performance but at least City are off and running at home.