IT WAS not as ruthless as their seven-try thrashing of Bristol Bears nor was it as memorable as their triumph over Stade Francais in Paris.

But this somewhat underwhelming win keeps the ball rolling for Worcester Warriors and sees them leapfrog Saturday’s opponents Ospreys at the top of Pool Two.

Such has been the level of Warriors’ play in recent weeks there was a hint of dissatisfaction among supporters when they filtered out of Sixways.

Leading 21-0 at half-time thanks to tries from Jamie Shillcock, Wynand Olivier and Jack Singleton Worcester should have ran out convincing winners.

But they failed to stamp their authority in the second half and let Ospreys claw their way back into what was a scrappy contest.

Winning – like losing – can be a habit and having won four of their past five games Worcester are finding ways to get the job done.

When Cory Allen intercepted Ben Te’o’s pass to score and Cai Evans made the conversion to cut the deficit to three points with five minutes left a Warriors side low on confidence may have gone on to lose.

But Alan Solomons’ resilient men stuck to their task, won a penalty at a scrum and a cool-headed Shillcock slammed the ball between the sticks to clinch another win.

Shillcock was the match-winner as the fly-half, stepping in for the injured Jono Lance, chalked up 17 points.

But it was the performances of back row duo Matt Cox and Matti Williams that stood out in the home success.

Cox, a player who has been overlooked for a place in the Premiership side, was at his belligerent best as he tackled hard and carried with purpose.

Williams, meanwhile, demonstrated why he is a flanker and not a hooker as he injected bundles of energy into Worcester.

Victories over Bristol and Stade Francais have lifted spirits at Sixways and the hosts soon put themselves on course for a third straight win.

After prop Ethan Waller made a surge for the try-line Worcester moved the ball to the left and the lively Michael Heaney fed Shillcock who crossed in the corner before adding the extras on 12 minutes.

Moments later Warriors were celebrating their second converted try courtesy of some great work by Williams.

The South African picked up the ball from the back of a scrum before flattening James Hook and flying through. With Olivier alongside him Williams then unselfishly tossed the ball to his fellow countryman to finish under the posts.

Trailing 14-0 Ospreys looked for a response as they mounted pressure in Warriors’ half but a malfunctioning line-out and sloppy mistakes cost them.

Worcester were holding firm and they increased their lead on 36 minutes when a rolling maul resulted in Singleton touching down. Shillcock converted to put the home side firmly in control.

But the visitors hit back in fine fashion after the interval, scoring inside the first three minutes of the second period.

Matthew Aubrey’s clever kick was gathered by Allen who crashed over and Hook made the conversion.

With Worcester struggling in the set-piece Ospreys bagged another try near the hour mark when number eight Rob McCusker burrowed over by the posts to leave a simple two-pointer for Evans.

Shillcock got Warriors’ first points of the second half with a penalty to lead 24-14 but Ospreys were given a lifeline on 75 minutes.

A loose pass from the returning Te’o was latched onto by Allen who darted home. Evans’ conversion from out wide then set up a tense finale.

But Shillcock held his nerve to secure victory with a penalty.