IT TOOK ex-England international Norman Deeley less than a minute to make an impression at Worcester City.

The pocket rocket, in the middle of the bottom row of the team shot, always looked the part in an era when City’s romper suit-style kit was all the rage during the mid-60s.

His stellar performances defied his small stature, weighing in with 44 goals in 162 appearances across three seasons thanks to an all-action style.

READ MORE | Vincent wants critical fans to "treat me as they would like to be treated"

READ MORE | Five talking points | City 0 Romulus 2

Despite his diminutive frame, the wing wizard was always likely to star in the Football League and turned professional in 1950 after two years with Wolves.

It was not until 1957 that he would become a regular at Molineux and end up as a crucial part in a highly-successful side, prompting his call up for the Three Lions.

During the time Deeley collected league titles in 1957-58 and 1958-59, he represented his country twice against Brazil and Peru before scoring two goals in the 3-0 FA Cup final victory over Blackburn in 1960.

That was probably his finest hour in the famous old gold but after 237 games and 75 goals for Wolves, he left for Leyton Orient in February 1962 where he played a further 73 games.

It was then that he joined Worcester alongside a host of other famous names, lining up with other internationals of the past.

He kicked off the 1964-65 season in style by netting in the first minute of his debut – a 3-0 home success over Romford in front of 3,702.

That was the first of 21 goals in his maiden campaign as part of a fearsome frontline with Johnny Fairbrother bashing in 29 in the league and the rest of the forwards contributing double figures.

City finished third in the Southern League and were the only team to rack up 100 league goals but it was not enough to overhaul champions Weymouth or runners-up Guildford.

The only blot on his copybook that season – if you could call it that – was a red card in the 3-1 FA Cup defeat to Dudley. Fairbrother suffered a similar fate at the hands of a referee the history books refer to as “fussy”.

Fairbrother moved on to Peterborough United for £5,000 in the summer and general upheaval on the playing front proved a drag on City’s progress in 1965-66, resulting in an eighth-placed finish as results and goals dried up towards the end of the season.

A host of big names headed through the exit before the 1966-67 season and Deeley, by then in his mid-30s, was no longer the star he had been two years earlier.

He was part of a full-scale clearout after that third and final season, joining Bromsgrove and playing beyond his 40th birthday having linked up with Darlaston. He would later manage at Bilston.