Worcester News

REPORT, RATINGS & AS IT HAPPENED: Worcester City 0 Coventry United 1


FULL-TIME: Worcester City 0 Coventry United 1

By Andy Mitchell

Last updated:

    FT: City 0 Coventry United 1 (Camwell 37)
  • CITY rued a saved penalty, another that was not given and more missed chances after losing 1-0 at home to an in-your-face Coventry United outfit.
  • Chris Camwell’s driving run past Craig Jones and firm low finish from the left of the box eight minutes before half-time decided matters at the Victoria Ground.
  • Liam Lockett was chopped down while turning inside the box five minutes later only for Sean Brain to have his spot-kick pushed away by dual-registered Evesham United keeper Reece Francis.
  • City then got denied a certain spot-kick midway through the second half when Jordan Harrison’s high hook back towards the far post was blocked by the outstretched arm of Luke Downes only for referee Aaron Ford to emphatically signal it had hit his head.
  • The replay showed differently, supporting infuriated City fans and manager Ashley Vincent.
  • The tempo was frenetic throughout with United direct in attack and regularly ruffling feathers, disrupting City momentum.
  • There were close calls for Joe Hawkins from long Luke English throws but the first big chance fell to United, Lewis Ison side footing off target from point-blank range after 25 minutes.
  • Hawkins had a header that dropped agonisingly wide from a whipped Lockett free-kick but the opener went the other way, Camwell latching on to a high ball before jetting by Jones and thumping inside the far post via Dan Jezeph’s glove.
  • Lockett turned Joe Cole in the box and was sent crashing but Brain’s penalty was parried by Francis who dived to his right.
  • City changed shape at half-time, going to a 4-3-3 and might have levelled when Marco Adaggio was released to the right of the box by Brain only for his shot to skip past the far post within two minutes of the restart.
  • Within moments Coventry had a huge double chance to go two up, Camwell having a near-post shot beaten away one-on-one by Jezeph with Tyler Haddow guiding towards an open goal only for Sam Hall to head away from in front of the line.
  • City had sporadic pressure, including that huge penalty shout, while United dug deep, broke up play and bent the referee’s ear to wind down the clock, much to the home side’s frustration.
  • Openings kept coming but clear chances were at a premium until stoppage time when Brain headed over at the far post from eight yards.

Worcester News