Worcester News

REPORT & RATINGS: Worcester City 3 Dunkirk 1


FA VASE LIVE: Worcester City v Dunkirk

By Andy Mitchell

Last updated:

    FT: City 3 (English 36, Brown 39, Jones 87) Dunkirk 1 (Shannon-Lewis 40)
  • THE unplayable Liam Lockett provided assists for all three goals as City eventually wore down robust Dunkirk 3-1 to make the last 64 of the FA Vase.
  • Luke English and Demetri Brown put Worcester two to the good only for Tyrell Shannon-Lewis to prod past Dan Jezeph within a minute of the second.
  • The frenetic tempo calmed down in the second half with City gradually exerting more control and Lockett weaving his magic time and time again.
  • The decider eventually arrived when another of the creative spark’s unstoppable surges into the box ended with Craig Jones ramming the loose ball into the roof of the net three minutes from the end.
  • City started brightly but had Jezeph to thank for a vital one-on-one save from Sasha Marilelic seven minutes in.
  • Chris Withington had a strong penalty shout waved away before Sean Brain went close with a low drive across goal that deflected wide via keeper Ryan Howes’s stray boot.
  • City pressure intensified with last-ditch blocks and some cynical fouls helping stretched Dunkirk to cope.
  • The breakthrough came in the 36th minutes when Lockett’s outswinging corner nodded inside the far post by English.
  • Lockett then raced into the corner and looked the other way to hoodwink his man to cut back to the right corner of the box for Brown to drive high across goal and into the net.
  • Shannon-Lewis was played through by Ellis Evans to pull one back but City had much the better of the second half, staying in control despite a reshuffle prompted by English’s hamstring tweak.
  • Brain’s drive across goal was nicked wide before Lockett’s mesmeric run to the touchline ended with a sitter that was thumped wide by Brown, much to his colleague’s annoyance.
  • Frustrated Dunkirk tempers threatened to boil over but they could not create the same head of steam going forward and Jones applied the coup de grace late on.
  • Lockett again waltzed in and decided to have a go himself, seeing his prodded finish nudged away from goal from the skipper to rifle into the roof of the net.
  • City scooped £900 in prize money and a home clash against United Counties League leaders Shepshed Dynamo in round three.
  • Tonight's other local tie, Malvern Town v Loughborough University, was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch at Walshes Meadow, Stourport.