Worcester News



LIVE: Romulus v Worcester City

By Andy Mitchell

Last updated:

    FT: Romulus 2 (Tomkinson 31, Nadat 86) City 2 (Mooney 1, Brain 45+2)
  • THREADBARE City survived a host of Romulus chances before being pegged back four minutes from time in a 2-2 draw at Castle Vale.
  • Much-travelled Midland Football League hotshot Jordan Nadat eventually got his 14th goal of the season having been guilty of spurning openings alongside fellow frontrunner Lewis Archer.
  • But Ashley Vincent’s patched-up troops certainly did not wave the white flag and while they spent long spells on the back foot, stood up to the pressure and nearly made off with all three points through Connor Mooney’s first-minute strike and Sean Brain’s penalty in first-half stoppage time.
  • Vincent made two changes from the FA Vase replay defeat to Atherstone five days previously, injury victims Craig Jones and Demetri Brown replaced by Mooney and Josh Willis.
  • City sparkled from kick-off on a zippy 3G surface with smart movement and crisp passing leading to Liam Lockett cutting inside and feeding Mooney’s dash across the box to take a touch and steer low inside the far post from a tight angle to the left of goal.
  • Played pinged from end to end but Romulus pressure quickly grew and they hit the post twice in a matter of seconds through Archer from a tight angle and Josh Willis – there was one on each team – who was just about denied from point-blank range by Dan Jezeph’s glove.
  • Dean Rathbone’s shot was stifled by a Luke English block and Nadat’s finish on the rebound was chalked off for offside as Romulus shots and crosses rained in.
  • Jay D’Llonga’s swirling delivery was headed high and wide by the free Archer at the far post with Jezeph producing more heroics to tip Nadat’s instinctive finish from a similar Jon Haynes ball against the post.
  • Ex-City midfielder Alex Tomkinson headed over from a decent position half an hour in but he was not to be denied, slamming in from close range after Nadat had nodded a deep cross into the danger zone a minute later.
  • Tomkinson almost stretched to convert another cross as the one-way traffic continued but Lockett almost made a moment of magic on the break, waltzing through a pair of challenges before flashing just high and wide from a near-impossible angle.
  • And it was another break that gave City the lead against the run of play with Jordan Harrison picked out in the centre before being clattered by keeper Lewis Fenney.
  • He was clean through but Fenney’s attempt to play the ball meant the card was yellow, although he could do nothing to keep out Brain from tucking the penalty low to his left.
  • A frenetic tempo dipped to quick in the second half and chances were fewer and further between but Romulus still saw more of the ball.
  • Rathbone and Nadat were off target with efforts that Jezeph had covered while City still carried a sporadic threat on the break.
  • Luke Rowe charged down a Rathbone shot after he had rolled English and Nadat went closer with a similar header back across goal to his previous effort that saw Jezeph rooted.
  • Archer wildly lashed over with two shots on the run from either side of the box and City looked comfortable closing out the game until another deep D'Llonga ball from the right was headed up rather than out for Nadat to steam in and guide into the bottom corner.
  • Romulus pressed incessantly for the winner without much composure and City took a hard-earned point.