Worcester News

REPORT, REACTION, RATINGS & LIVE FEED: Walsall Wood 2 Worcester City 2


LIVE: Walsall Wood v Worcester City

By Andy Mitchell

Last updated:

    LIVE: Wood 2 (Luckie 6, Martin 89) City 2 (Jones 76, Reynolds 90+6 - Reynolds penalty saved 89)
  • DAVE Reynolds went from villain to hero with a stoppage-time leveller in a madcap finish to City's 2-2 draw at Walsall Wood.
  • The nudged finish from a long punt forward came seven minutes after Reynolds had a penalty saved with the score at 1-1 and Wood broke to score what looked to be a dramatic winner.
  • That chance was taken by substitute Romario Martin on his debut just three days after scoring against City for previous club Highgate United.
  • And as if that was not enough drama, the Reynolds goal came six minutes into the 10 added on after referee Liam Teraud had signalled to withdraw from the game through injury in the second half only to then continue with no one from the crowd able to stand in.
  • City conceded within the opening six minutes, Javia Roberts getting down the left to centre low for Jazz Luckie to calmly cushion across goal from the near post.
  • The visitors gradually worked their way back into the game with Craig Jones and Reynolds close to scrambling in a Liam Lockett free-kick and the unmarked Sean Brain heading over a Reynolds cross at the far post from just six yards.
  • Brain had a double chance having run at Dominic Perkins, forcing an awkward stop from keeper James Wren before blazing over the rebound early in the second half.
  • Wood should have been two up when John Atherton surged past Ryan Winwood and guided out to Roberts on the left who quickly cushioned back into Atherton to side foot wide from eight yards.
  • City again recovered to have the better of the play, albeit without testing Wren, before the game was thrown into doubt when Teraud pulled up.
  • Efforts to find someone to run the line came to nothing with Teraud consulting the players before carrying on by staying in the middle of the pitch as much as possible.
  • City kept plugging away and warranted the equaliser that Jones grabbed with a deft header across goal from Luke English’s long throw.
  • The golden chance came when substitute Andy Nicol was needlessly sent sprawling in the corner of the box with his back to goal only for Reynolds to have his effort from 12 yards saved.
  • Wood doubled the pain on the break, Martin forcing inside the near post having dashed on to a long ball into the right channel and cut inside.
  • The ball went straight through a ripped net, leading to protests over the validity of the strike but it stood and City looked destined for another hard-luck story.
  • That was until Reynolds had the last laugh, holding off his man to send a scrappy effort bobbling beyond Wren after Kyle Rowley, who had been so impressive up until then, failed to clear a routine punt forward.