Malvern Town cemented their position at the top of the Hellenic League Division One West after a five-star performance saw them romp past Bourton Rovers on Saturday afternoon.

Forward Harry Clark chalked up a hat-trick in the 5-1 goal fest as Town stretched their lead at the top of the league to eight points after nine games played.

The hosts made a bright start to the game and took an early lead through Harry Clark's first of the afternoon after a Joe Bates cross.

Malvern failed to capitalise on their opener and the visitors levelled matters ten minutes before the break when Callum Trott guided the ball into the net.

That proved to be the wake-up call Town needed and within a couple of minutes they were back in front.

Nathan Chowns Higgs showed good determination to beat the advancing ‘keeper to make it 2-1 before Malvern added a third in first-half stoppage time as Clark notched his second of the day from the penalty spot.

It was the visitors who asked the questions at the start of the second period and had a golden chance to cut the deficit when they were awarded a penalty of their own but captain Dan Way saw his effort saved by Keiron Blackburn.

The game was put beyond Bourton on the half hour mark when a neat break down the left ended with Clark turning the ball home to complete his hat-trick.

Malvern finished the job five minutes from time when substitute Matt Turner fired into the roof of the net to put the icing on the cake.

Co-manager Lee Hooper expressed his delight at the "clinical" nature his side showed despite a spirited performance from their opponents.

“We started the game really well, the best we’ve done so far this season,” he said.

“We had a high tempo in their half and took an early lead, it was just disappointing that we couldn’t kick-on from there and allowed our opponents to get a foot-hold in the game.

“Credit to our opponents, though, because they worked hard and showed a good attitude throughout but we were clinical in front of goal to get the win.

“The lads put a real shift in; there were a few blowing at the end, but our fitness levels were good and it showed in the way that we finished the game strongly.

“There were a few mistakes, but there were far more positives to take from the performance, such as the penalty save from Keiron, which came at a crucial time, and Clarky’s hat-trick.

“We’re playing it game-by-game at the moment and will take on any challenge that comes our way at the moment such is our confidence.

“There are some big games coming up and we’re looking forward to them.”