EVESHAM United made it into the second-round of the FA Trophy for the first time in 19 years after a 5-4 penalty shootout win over Bideford AFC on Saturday.

Ryan Paddock was the hero as his spot kick secured the Robins' passage to the next stage, after Bideford had scored an 88th minute equaliser to cancel out Jamie Lucas' 72nd minute penalty.

Evesham are now into the hat for the second-round with sides from the National League North and South now entering the competition.

It was a first fixture in six weeks for either side following the suspension of the league season due to the national lockdown and it showed in the early exchanges as both struggled to hold on to possession in what was a tight affair.

Evesham’s Aaron Basford thought he had the opener on the 17th minute but his clever lob over the keeper was chalked off for offside.

The visitors were playing the better football, however, and they went close to scoring on the 21st minute when George Nancekivell beat the offside trap to go one on one with Lewis Clayton in Evesham’s goal before clipping the outside of the post.

It took the hosts 27 minutes to have their first meaningful attempt at goal when Harry Franklin tried his luck, only for his strike to be straight at the keeper.

With the first half coming to an end, an excellent tackle by Jordan Lymn on Bideford’s Joe Charles denied the visitors what looked like another excellent chance.

The north Devon outfit continued to have the better chances as the second-half began but they couldn't find a way through the stubborn home defence.

Despite soaking up a large amount of pressure for the most part of the second period, it was the home side who opened the scoring on the 72nd minute as Jamie Lucas smashed home a penalty after Franklin was brought down in the box.

The hosts now had their tails up and almost doubled their lead with four minutes to go but Jack Horrell couldn't keep his shot down from the edge of the box.

As the game approached the 90th minute, the visitors finally got the goal their performance probably deserved in the 88th minute when Evesham failed to clear the ball form a crowded box and Lewis Wilson smashed home.

Evesham still had two chances to win the game in normal time but a coupld of goal-line clearances ensured the scores remained and a penalty shootout would decide the winner.

The penalties were of a high quality but Bideford blinked first and missed their fifth penalty at 4-4 and gave Paddock the chance to step up to win it and he obliged calmly to send the 309 strong crowd into raptures.