Worcester News

Full-time: Bewdley Town 2 v 4 Worcester City


Full-time: Bewdley Town 2 Worcester City 4

By Marcello Cossali-Francis

Last updated:

    Final score: Bewdley 2 (Allchurch 18, Beardsmore 68) vs City 4 (Nicol 6, Nicol 45, Lockett 58, English 74)
  • Worcester City overcame a stubborn Bewdley Town as they eventually ran out comfortable 4-2 winners in Craig Jones' first game as interim boss.
  • A first-half brace from the lively Andy Nicol was added to by second-half goals from substitutes Luke English and Liam Lockett.
  • Bewdley proved tricky customers throughout and scored through Adam Beardsmore and Callum Allchurch's spectacular effort but City showed a clinical edge in the second-half to seal a win in the 'pre-season' friendly.
  • Boss Craig Jones coached from the touchline as he continues to rest a long-term injury problem and he would have been happy with how his side started as Nicol tapped in following a Taylor Townsend cross after just six minutes.
  • Nicol had a glorious chance to double his and City's tally a few minutes later when the referee awarded a penalty for a foul on the forward in the box.
  • Nicol dusted himself down and stepped up but it was not quite in the corner and Bewdley 'keeper Joe Sidaway saved.
  • It had looked like a long evening was in store for the home side, who play a level below Worcester in step six of the non-league football ladder, but they rallied and began to land some shots of their own.
  • In the 18th minute they equalised when midfielder Callum Allchurch ran on to a headed clearance from a corner and aimed a rocket of a strike right into the top left corner of Dan Jezeph's goal.
  • Bewdley continued to create chances and twice striker Josh Carpenter went close, with Jezeph making a fine save and one effort trickling wide of the target.
  • But against the run of play, City had a second.
  • After a corner was not cleared from the defenders, Nicol found the ball at his feet and from a matter of yards tapped in for his second.
  • The second-half was more comfortable for the visitors and they showed their quality from the off. 
  • Luke English and Liam Lockett were brought on and after probing away, they extended the lead just before the hour mark as English's deflected shot found Lockett at the far post for a simple finish.
  • The home side weren't going away, however, and a few minutes later they were back in it as Ben Birch's header back to Jezeph was too short and midfielder Beardsmore managed to block the keeper's clearance and followed it up with a tap into the empty goal.
  • City finished matters heading into the final fifteen minutes when English met Lockett's corner at the front post, side footing a volley into the far corner.
  • Valuable game time for Craig Jones' side ahead of their first league game in almost two months on Saturday away at Tividale.