Worcester News

Full-time: Tividale 1-1 City


Live: Full-time - City rescue point with last minute penalty

By Marcello Cossali-Francis

Last updated:

    LIVE: Tividale 1 (McPike 7) City (Brain, pen 90)
  • City: Jezeph; English, Kelly, Birch, Smith, Hall, Withington, Birch, Willis, Nicol, Brain.
  • Subs: Adaggio, Bajrami, Lockett, Sterling, Townsend.
  • SEAN Brain's stoppage-time penalty rescued Worcester City a point in Craig Jones' first competitive game in interim charge.
  • Brain held his nerve to convert from the spot after City's Nat Kelly had been sent off with 10 minutes to go.
  • They remain in 16th place in the MFL Premier Division but will be happy to have taken a point from the game at 9th placed Tividale.
  • It had been the worst possible start for the visitors as the hosts took the lead after just seven minutes when Lewis McPike was quickest to react to Dan Jezeph's save from Darragh Bustin's effort.
  • City struggled to get to grips with the difficult pitch, that sloped away to one side, and the hosts controlled proceedings.
  • However, towards the end of the half City began to get some possession deep in Tivi territory and were somehow denied an equaliser when the home side's keeper Adam Harrison superbly palmed away a deflected Josh Willis strike.
  • The hosts took the narrow advantage into the break but City came out with a spring in their step and looked to have equalised on the 53rd minute when Sean Brain slotted home after a defensive error.
  • The linesman did not flag for offside which incensed the Tividale players, who all ran over to the far side to confront the official.
  • The referee then had a discussion with his assistant and they disallowed the goal and awarded a free-kick for offside.
  • Kelly was sent to the sin-bin for his protestations and Worcester had to play the next five minutes a man light.
  • The mood was almost worsened when Jezeph was again called into action to make a crucial save from Dan Smith when 1-on-1.
  • Jezeph would make another save as the game entered the last half hour, this time making himself big to block Bustin's close range strike.
  • It was then Harrison's turn to impress as he did well to get down low to save from Brain, who perhaps should have scored with his low effort from inside the box.
  • Tivi continued to create chances and should have put the game to bed when a rare poor clearance from Jezeph saw McPike go clear but the City shot stopped did well to make up for it with a crucial save.
  • Then with 10 minutes left on the clock, Kelly was sent-off as he pulled down Bustin as the last man.
  • But it would be the visitors who would have the final say in stoppage time as Brain pulled back a ball to captain Aaron Birch, who was bundled over for a clear penalty.
  • Brain stepped up and slammed it down the middle to ensure City went back home with a point.