A ruthless second-half display from Exeter Chiefs saw them score 41-unanswered points as they came from behind at half-time to beat Worcester Warriors at a wet and windy Sandy Park.

Exeter turned the screw after half-time having been 10-8 down at the break following a try for Warriors' Francois Venter and a Jamie Shillcock penalty.

Scores from the British and Irish Lion Sam Simmonds (2), Dave Ewers, Stu Townsend and Jacques Vermeulen in the second forty secured the full five-points from the clash as they went within three of league leaders Bristol Bears.

It means that Worcester have now lost 15 Gallagher Premiership fixtures in a row and remain rock bottom, with Wasps away up next.

The first-half was a real arm wrestle but Warriors were more than up for the challenge and Jamie Shillcock knocked over an early penalty to take the lead.

Worcester were playing the conditions well and used the strong wind behind them to turn the Chiefs around and force them to play from deep and it was exactly that method that brought them their first try.

A strong kick chase managed to prevent Stuart Hogg from running the ball out from his own 22 before a ferocious counter ruck turned the ball over and Justin Clegg flung a looping pass out to Francois Venter on the wing, who cut back inside and crashed over.

The conversion from Shillcock was good but five minutes later the Chiefs made the most of a mistake to get back into the game.

Try scorer Venter tried a grubber kick through, only for it to deflect into Henry Slade's arms and the English centre hacked through and despite Fin Smith's best efforts, Slade slid over.

A penalty just before the break from Joe Simmonds meant it was just a two point lead at the interval; 8-10.

But the second-half was all Exeter as they showed exactly why they are the reigning champions.

On 46 minutes, Dave Ewers crashed over to put the hosts in the lead for the first-time before the TMO ruled out a score from Chiefs' prop Tomas Francis.

But they weren't to be denied as Simmonds barrelled his way over the line a couple of minutes later to stretch the lead to 12 after brother Joe's conversion.

Warriors were under huge amounts of pressure and struggled to get out of their own half thanks in the main to the conditions and Exeter's relentless attacks.

The visitors' discipline was starting to falter and Sam Lewis was sent to the bin with just under 20 minutes to go.

The bonus-point was secured five minutes later as Simmonds scored in the corner before Warriors were again reduced to 14 men as substitute GJ van Velze was sent to the bin for kicking the ball out of Chiefs' Stu Townsend's hands.

The nine then put his name on the scoresheet as Warriors tired before a final play try in the corner from flanker Jacques Vermeulen sealed the convincing win for Exeter.