WORCESTER City played in front of their fans at Claines Lane for the first time in 2021 as they were beaten 4-1 by Evesham United in a pre-season fixture.

The visitors, who play two levels above City in the non-league pyramid, had to work for their win but their quality showed in the final quarter as they pulled away from their hosts.

Having won their opening two pre-season fixtures so far, including the 2-1 mid-week win over National League North Leamington FC, City came into the clash looking to step up their build-up to the season kicking off next month.

They started well and just five minutes has passed when a loose ball fell in the box to striker Dan Westwood, but his slightly scuffed finish was cleared off the line by right-back Jordan Staten with the keeper beaten. 

The hosts enjoyed plenty of the ball and looked dangerous down the flanks with the likes of Taylor Townsend and Archie Muirhead posing a threat.

It was slightly against the run of play when the Robins did take the lead. 

Calvin Dinsley beat the defender to a first time cross from Jordan Lymn, flicking it on at the near post across Dan Jezeph in the sticks for City. 

Chances were few and far between and the half finished with the visitors in the lead by a goal to nil. 

Changes were made at the break with new signing Callum Debar, youngsters Jack Monteith and Jake Whitehouse and the on-loan Billy Shaw all coming on.

It was a flat start and Evesham started brightly and with seven minutes played, former Worcester City forward Sean Brain - who left the club last week to re-join The Robins - dispatched a strike into the top corner to increase the lead.

With an hour gone, the hosts were handed a chance to get back in the game when goal scorer Dinsley fouled Billy Shaw in the box. 

Westwood stepped up and his penalty wasn't the best but it squirmed in despite the keeper getting a touch.

But with 75 minutes gone, Evesham extended their lead as midfielder Ben Markle poked home inside the area after he had first been denied by Jezeph. He reacted quickest to re-establish the two-goal lead.

City were beginning to tire by now and it was 4-1 with a few minutes left as Ben Hayes sprung the offside trap to tuck a finish home past Jezeph and seal the win.