BROMSGROVE Sporting are now just one win away from the FA Cup first-round proper after an injury-hit 1-0 win over Welwyn Garden City on Saturday afternoon.

Sporting’s Kieran Dunbar and Welwyn’s Callum Taylor were both stretchered off the pitch early in the tie after a 50/50 challenge caused a length delay.

Taylor seemed to come off worse and went to hospital, whilst Dunbar was stretchered off the pitch.

The game was won by a sensational strike from Dunbar’s replacement, Jack Newell, as he thundered in a first-time effort from 30 yards to send Sporting through to the final round of qualifying.

The game was only five minutes old when Dunbar and Taylor went into a fifty-fifty challenge. Both players stayed down and there was a lengthy stoppage as both received treatment.

After a period of around 20 minutes, the game restarted and both sides struggled to settle into any rhythm for the remainder of the first-half, with the scores level at the break.

There was very little goalmouth action in the first-half but just five minutes into second period, the ball was in the back of the net and what a goal it was.

Jack Newell had come on for the injured Dunbar and it was the defender who stole the show as a free-kick was headed out to him, about 30 yards out, and he struck it sweetly first-time directly into the top corner.

It was a goal worthy of winning a cup tie and it proved to be just that.

The visitors only managed four shots in the 90 minutes and generally found it difficult to break Bromsgrove down, who equally could not find the second which would have put the game beyond doubt.

In the end, it didn’t matter and Sporting secured their place in the fourth round of FA Cup qualifying, now just one game away from the first-round proper.

They go into the hat, with the draw taking place on TalkSport at 3.15pm on Monday afternoon.

Some of the big hitters in the National League come into this stage of the tournament and Sporting could well come up against the likes of Wrexham, Notts County and Grimsby Town.