It may have been a little too close for comfort but Worcester Warriors finally ended an eight-year Premiership losing streak to Wasps with a dramatic bonus-point win at Sixways.

After 14 straight league defeats by Saturday's opponents, Warriors were able to conquer that particular demon but not without a nervy final few minutes.

Will Chudley's bonus-point score put the hosts 32-14 early in the second-half up but three tries from the visitors had fans chewing their fingernails.

But Jimmy Gopperth was unable to convert Tom Willis’ 77th minute score, which meant Warriors stayed 32-31 ahead and they saw out the final moments to secure the win.

A strong downfield wind shaped the game and Warriors made good use of it, opening up a 25-14 lead in the first half thanks in the main to the duo of Duhan van der Merwe and Fin Smith.

They did suffer a set back early doors when they were reduced to 14 men after Melani Nanai was sent to the sin-bin for a clash of heads with Josh Bassett.

But Nanai’s sin binning did not prove costly as Warriors took the lead with the opening try two minutes later. Van der Merwe used his pace and strength to break two tackles before he delivered a perfect inside pass to Gareth Simpson who galloped away to dot down.

Wasps levelled shortly after Warriors were back to 15 men as lock Vaea Fifita went over.

Warriors hit back with a well-struck penalty from Smith midway through the first half and increased their lead a minute later when van der Merwe scooped up the loose ball and raced away for the try which Smith converted.

Back came Wasps with a try from hooker Dan Frost, which Jimmy Gopperth converted to reduce the deficit to three points.

Smith slotted another penalty on the half-hour before Nanai's’jinking run eventually set up the third try from Ted Hill.

Chudley’s try, which he started and finished after big carries from Joe Batley and Sione Vailanu, was also converted by Smith in the 45th minute, a kick that gained significance as the match went on.

Wasps’ fightback began after Frost crossed for his second try of the afternoon and gathered momentum when Sam Wolstenholme went over for a try that Gopperth improved to pull them to within a converted try.

That gap narrowed further when Warriors were heavily penalised and Willis squeezed over in the corner but the normally-reliable Gopperth was unable to add the extras from far out on the left.