WARRIORS’ fly-half Fin Smith was forced off in England’s first win of their Under 20s Six Nations Summer Series campaign against France in Verona.

Smith kicked one penalty and two conversions in his 55 minutes on the pitch before hobbling off injured.

Despite having just 12 men on the field at one point, England held on to beat the team who started the day in first place.

The Worcester star was pictured walking around after the match enjoying the celebrations with his teammates, suggesting the injury is not too serious.

Neither team were able to take advantage of any early pressure that they had built, with both Smith and French full-back Max Auriac missing 3-point opportunities.

The French then had a try chalked off after an offside was spotted by the TMO and a yellow card for French loosehead Thomas Moukoro proved pivitol, with Bath lock Ewan Richards scoring twice in the space of five minutes.

Smith kicked an outstanding conversion the first time around, but wasn’t quite able to add the extras the second time – giving Alan Dickens’ men a 12-0 lead.

However, with Moukoro returning, France kept the scoreboard ticking over with two penalties before a converted try from hooker Victor Montgaillard brought the French back within two points at the break.

Although the men in blue put the pressure on in the second half, England were the first to score, with a mighty boot from Smith kickstarting a wave of pressure which led to Quins winger Conor Oresanya scoring under the posts. Smith added the extras.

Auriac notched up his eighth point courtesy of another penalty, but it was answered by a Smith effort in the 54th minute - which was his final part in the game, replaced due to injury.

There was a let-off for England soon after as another French try was disallowed on the hour mark after the TMO spotted a knock on in the build up by replacement Killian Tixeront.

A stream of poor discipline by England led to two yellow cards. One for full-back George Hendy and another for replacement scrum half Carr-Smith, the latter leading to a French penalty try making the score 22-20 in England’s favour with just over ten minutes to go.

Another yellow card was then produced, this time for Auriac of France before a red card for a high tackle from replacement prop Andrew Turner sent Dickens’ men down to 12.

Against the odds, England still had one try left in them with Smith’s replacement Jed Walsh scoring and converting a superb solo try. This proved to be the last score of the match, with England holding on to beat France 29-20 in a famous victory in Verona.

England are now placed third in Pool A, level on points with France in second place. They play Ireland on Tuesday at 19:00 in the last match of the pool stages, with a win still able to send them top of their group if other results go their way.