AN 85th minute winner from substitute Jack Bailey handed Stourport Swifts all three points on Tuesday as Worcester City slipped to a sixth defeat in eight league games.

Having won their first game of the 2022/23 Midland Football League Premier campaign last Saturday at home to Whitchurch Alport, the still managerless City came into the game with newfound confidence but any hope of a winning run was halted at the first hurdle as Bailey smashed home from close range.

It was a goal richly deserved in the end for a Stourport side who created, and wasted, opportunities all evening without finding the back of the net.

Worcester played well in parts but struggled in the final third and another defeat leaves them second bottom of the table, whilst Stourport remain in the top six.

It was a bright start from Quentin Townsend's Swifts outfit, who looked confident in possession.

Jonny Johnston spurned a glorious chance to cap off an encouraging opening but he could not finish when 1-on-1 with City keeper Adam Harrison, curling wide of the post.

Bobbie Dale's audacious attempt at a flick at the near post from Bailey Fuller's cutback was City's best opportunity but generally, Stourport keeper Josh Bishop was not overly busy.

The away side were creating the better chances and towards the end of the first half they had another to take the lead.

Lee Chilton had time and space in the box and unleashed a strike on goal that Harrison could only palm away to Ben Tilbury from just five yards out but the striker could not sort his feet out and fluffed his lines.

It was all square at the break but following the restart, Swifts picked up where they left off.

First a Chilton free-kick somehow managed to evade everyone in the box before Tilbury flicked over from close range.

City were sitting deeper and deeper and Aaron Birch almost found the back of the net, but the former City midfielder could not convert from eight yards.

It looked as if Townsend's men would have to settle for a point but the goal they so richly deserved finally came with 85 minutes on the clock as two replacements linked up to provide the late drama.

A cross to the back post was headed back into a dangerous area by Ronan Sheehan and there was Jack Bailey running onto it, to thump a strike into the roof of the net.

City: Harrison 6; Withington 5.5, Roberts 5, Jones 5, Hartley 5.5; Douglas 4, Spink 4, Alder 4; Brain 4, Dale 4, Fuller 5.

Subs: Shaw (N/A), Taylor-Randle 5, Muirhead 5, Monteith (N/A)

Stourport: Bishop 7; Binner 7, Hanson 7, Jevons 7, Slevin 9, Jackson 7; Hanson 7.5, Birch 8, Johnston 7.5, Tilbuy 7, Chilton 7.5.

Subs: Sheehan 7.5, Bailey 7.