IT proved to be a record-breaking night at Sixways as over 2400 supporters attended the first-ever Worcester Derby between Raiders and City on Wednesday night, a game that the visitors won 1-0.

Liam Lockett's long-range effort just four minutes into the contest proved to be the game's only goal in what was a professional and efficient performance from City.

Once they took the lead, they rarely looked troubled for the remainder of the match and as poor as Raiders were on the night, Chris Cornes' men got the job done in a manner that will fill the 1200 away supporters with plenty of encouragement going forward into the coming months.

Much of the pre-match talk was of the record crowd - 2478 was the official attendance on the night, which makes it the highest-attended fixture in Hellenic League history - and the atmosphere before kick-off certainly lived up to the occasion.

REACTION | Chris Cornes explains how experience shone through for City in derby win

It was also the first time these two city rivals had met in a competitive fixture and given both sides are up there with the favourites for the Hellenic League Premier title this season, that gave it added significance. 

And the decibel levels went up a notch after just four minutes when, out of nowhere, City winger Lockett picked up the ball on the turn, around 40 yards from goal, and drove forward before unleashing a fierce drive at goal.

Raiders' keeper Ryan Young seemed to lose the flight of it in the air and the ball dipped over his head and into the back of the net, sending the support in the East Stand into a frenzy of limbs.

REACTION | Gormley left 'gutted' after Raiders' derby defeat to City

Matters worsened for the home side as striker Shay Willock was forced off with an early injury, it was the worst possible start for Karl Gormley's men.

From then on it was a cagey affair. City controlled the ball and the tempo, whilst Raiders sat off. But the hosts carried very little threat on the counter and generally struggled to give Rich Smith any sort of support up top.

Chances were few and far between and really there was not a lot to split the two sides, but City always had an element of control and it was up to to Raiders to try and wrestle that back in the second-half.

But they just couldn't get a foothold and it was City who looked more likely to add to their lead than Raiders getting back into it.

Izak Reid had a half-chance but despite getting into some decent positions, the away side couldn't find that killer second goal.

90 minutes had passed and at no point did it feel like Raiders would score, until stoppage time when Isaac Cooper had the best chance of the entire game.

The City defence was sliced open by a through ball from midfield, putting Cooper in behind. But the winger, who did not have his best day by any stretch, took one too many touches and City keeper Haydn Whitcombe was able to come out and smother the ball and preserve the three points.