WORCESTER City enhanced their title credentials with an impressive 2-0 win over local rivals Pershore Town in front of a record crowd at Claines Lane.

912 was the official figure, becoming the biggest crowd for a Worcester City game since their return to the city and they watched on as Liam Lockett's first-half double proved decisive.

Lockett opened the scoring with five minutes to play in the first-half with a brilliant solo effort and the City winger then grabbed a second with the final kick of the half.

City had numerous chances to make the score line more emphatic after the break but luckily for the visitors, it remained at the two. The hosts move fourth in the Hellenic League table with a second local derby win in six days. 

Having beaten Worcester Raiders in the first-ever Worcester Derby last Wednesday and a late FA Cup victory at Sherwood Colliery on Saturday, City came into the contest on a three-match winning streak in all competitions. 

They showed a professional side to their game in that win in front of 2572 at Sixways and it was a similar theme on Tuesday as almost 1000 packed into Claines.

Worcester News: 912 were in attendance at Claines Lane on Tuesday evening912 were in attendance at Claines Lane on Tuesday evening (Image: Newsquest)

And City were, in truth, in control for a lot of the 90 minutes. 

Pershore had their chances in the first-half but their end product in the final third was lacking. Striker Aidan Clark caused problems for his old captain and teammate Kirk Layton and ex-City winger Josh Willis looked threatening down the right. 

READ | Lydney backtrack on accusations aimed at Raiders after league game

But City had the more clear-cut opportunities and Lockett should have opened the scoring in the third minute but he could only drag a shot wide from eight yards out. 

Clark had a shot on goal saved by Haydn Whitcombe and a couple of long throws from left-back Jake Bloomer caused a bit of panic in the City box.

Willis also had a handful of nearly moments but he and The Plums were unable to take advantage.

The game then changed in the 40th minute as Lockett slid in to win the ball high up the pitch before a weaving run took him into the Pershore box. He then showed ultimate composure to strike the ball into the corner to give City the lead.

The away side were punished again for loose play in their own half on the stroke of half-time, as striker Kyonn Evans won the ball before Kyle Belmonte took over and drove the hosts forward.

He then played Lockett in and he did the rest, finishing high into the roof of the net and out of reach of Cox. 

The second-half was very one-sided and City should have added more goals to their tally.

Izak Reid rounded the keeper but could only slide the ball wide from a couple of yards and Belmonte was also wasteful late on, lashing over the bar.

But it mattered not as City once again got the job done with a performance that only furthers their title claims.