WORCESTER City bowed out of the Women's FA Cup as a dominant second-half display from National League MK Dons saw them progress to the third-round following a 3-0 win

A valiant first-half display from Worcester kept their higher-level opponents at bay but Dons eventually turned on the style to reach the third-round.

Two for Lucy Wood and one for Laura Mitchell competed what was eventually a comfortable victory but a record-breaking crowd for a City Women's game at Sixways marked a memorable occasion for the club despite the result.

And hopes of a huge upset were alive and well early on as City started brightly and took the game to the visitors.

Dons did have their chances in the first-half and Leyla O'Brien was the first to go close as she rattled a close-range volley against the post.

O'Brien then had one of two stand-out chances to give the higher-level side the lead but Sofia Stolt produced a superb save to keep the scores level and Wood somehow fired wide as City were let off the hook.

The hosts held their own, especially in the first 25 minutes and Emma Congrave dragged a shot just wide with what was the hosts' best opportunity in a competitive opening 45 minutes.

The pressure on the City goal intensified after the break and Wood fired the visitors into the lead within five minutes after the ball had pinged around the box.

Mitchell then had a chance to double that lead shortly after but Stolt held onto the effort.

Dons were camped in the City half and continued to probe, leading towards the all-important second goal from Mitchell, who thumped a finish past Stolt to make it 2-0.

The visitors were well on top by this point and Mitchell would not be denied a second time as she powered a right-footed shot into the top corner.

Wood then sealed the game with another fine finish before Olivia Mitcham almost got one back for Worcester with a header that went just over the bar.

City pushed for a consolation and Annie Highway almost caught the Dons keeper out from range but it was not to be and MK Dons progress to the third-round of the Women's FA Cup.