WORCESTER City returned to the top of the Hellenic League Premier on Wednesday night after a comfortable 2-0 win at play-off chasing Highworth Town.

City were rarely troubled and an impressive opening half-an-hour proved decisive as goals from Izak Reid and Jamie Insall gave them the cushion required to see the game out with relative ease.

Highworth had been unbeaten at home in the league this season until Wednesday but never really looked like coming back into the game after falling 2-0 down, despite a late flurry that saw them hit the crossbar and Haydn Whitcombe make a smart save to protect the clean sheet.

On a pitch that sloped in numerous places across the pitch, City were quick to adjust and dominated the early stages.

Liam Lockett had their first chance of the game but his close-range volley at the back post was turned behind by Highworth keeper Connor Johns, who seconds later, gifted City the opener.

He flapped at a cross into the box and Reid was there to make him pay, thumping a side-footed finish into the middle of the goal to make it 1-0.

The one negative of the evening was an injury to Connor Gater, who limped off in the 28th minute to be replaced by Cam Monteith but, two minutes later, it was 2-0.

Kyle Belmonte's clipped ball in behind the Highworth defence gave Lockett the chance to wriggle his way to the by line before crossing into the danger zone, where Insall was there to guide a header past Johns.

From there it felt as if the game was already tied up and Belmonte twice went close to extending that lead further either side of the break.

The pitch was not allowing for the most fluid of football matches but City scrapped well in the circumstances and made it difficult for Highworth to break them down.

Belmonte had another effort on goal saved by Johns and Lockett's low drive on the angle just missed the far post as the visitors looked to kill the game off.

Highworth did go close in the dying minutes as Connor Mattimore's effort crashed back off the crossbar and Whitcombe got down well to save from Matthew Cheetham, but that was as good as it got for the home side, who were a distinct second-best on the night.

The result takes City two clear of Corsham Town in second-place and they still have three games in hand on their nearest title rivals.