WORCESTER City responded to their FA Vase heartbreak in the best way possible with a convincing victory over local rivals Worcester Raiders at Sixways Stadium. 

City came into the match off the back of a defeat on penalties to Great Wakering Rovers in the second-leg of their semi-final tie in the FA Vase, seeing them come just short of a dream trip to Wembley.

With the loss costing City the chance to secure a third trophy this season, the team were eager to put the disappointment behind them as they faced city rivals Worcester Raiders in the league yesterday evening (Tuesday).

City had been on a 24-match winning streak before the FA Vase defeat, and immediately from the off, it was clear that nothing but the three points would do for them.

On the 15-minute mark, City found a breakthrough as Liam Lockett slid in striker Dylan Hart, who managed to poke the ball past the Raiders goalkeeper to open the scoring.

But rather than sit back, City continued to apply pressure on the Raiders goal, but despite some great link up play, they could not double their advantage.

Worcester News: Dylan Hart scored Worcester City's openerDylan Hart scored Worcester City's opener (Image: Chris Till)

But just as half-time was approaching, Elliott Hartley's curling effort from the edge of the area cannoned in off the post to give City a much-needed cushion going into the break.

While Raiders were very much second-best, the team did have the odd chance to pull a goal back, but failed to really test City's goalkeeper Haydn Whitcombe.

This would come back to haunt them as City broke down the other end of the pitch and scored their third of the night, with Kyle Belmonte blasting the ball off the underside of the crossbar.

Jamie Insall was immediately in the thick of the action when he was brought on for Hartley 25 minutes from the end, with a spectacular long-range effort leaving James Behan scrambling to tip it over the bar.

Before long though, Insall managed to get himself on the scoresheet by peeling off his marker and drilling a low shot past the goalkeeper to hand City their fourth goal.

It rounded off a spellbinding display from Chris Cornes' side, who secured their 29th win of their title-winning campaign in what was very much a one-sided affair.

City now turn their attentions to their next fixture in the Hellenic League Premier versus Mangotsfield United on Thursday at Claines Lane.